View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
beanieman
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the advise foxy, will try my local petstore see if they stock it or are able to get t in for me
beanieman
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
The smaller pet shops tend to stock the better quality dogfoods and will usually get things to order from the wholesalers if you ask

Thanks minihaha will see what they have to offer or can get in for us.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Why not try him on fresh food and see if that helps? Start off with boiled rice with meat or fish/ finely chopped vegetables. I would be inclined to have the allergy test too as the vet suggests.

It is wise to steer clear of biscuit treats with additives and colours too and give dried fish treats instead
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi, beanieman,my collie had itchy skin for ages,the vet did a skin test on her which meant doing a light sedation & they put a few pin pricks in her skin,the pinpricks that went red to show allergy was dust mites & fleas!!!. now a few years on she has been eating james wellbeloved lamb & rice,but as shes got older her itching has got worse ,she also has colitis by the way,the vets have put her on walthams SENSITIVITY CONTROL,a capelin(FISH) & tapioca dry food This seems to have done the trick,no colitis or itching!! This walthams food is a bit expensive though,i pay £29.99 for a 6kg bag,for the 14kg bag its £56 something
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 01:42 PM
14kg bag its £56 something
I think it's such a shame they charge that much for it. It would cost less to feed your dog on the best cuts of real meat...To me that is taking advantage of people who feel they have no choice because it might be the only thing that will suffice.

Good luck with your dog, hope he stops itching soon...
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
I think it's such a shame they charge that much for it. It would cost less to feed your dog on the best cuts of real meat...To me that is taking advantage of people who feel they have no choice because it might be the only thing that will suffice.

Good luck with your dog, hope he stops itching soon...

Yes its terrible isn't it Myschievous - I would give this a try but for that price I have to give it a miss
Tirnanog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Vet used homeopathic tablets on April and they worked
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 05:26 PM
I think change of diet will definately help, many dogs have allergies to their foods.

We feed Ozzy Autarky, it is wheat gluten free (it is very common to have a wheat gluten allergy) and is made GM free, no articficial colours, flavours, or preservatives are included.

At £16.50 and VAT FREE! It is a lot cheaper than some other brands and I have found it very effective. Ozzys coat absolutely gleams with it and he also has fewer stools (always a bonus! )
akeisha
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I Have Two Shar Peis And Both Had Itchy Skin. I Have Got Them On James Well Beloved And It Really Works, I Give Mine Duck And Rice Give It Ago Debbie
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi beanieman

We had a westie about 15 years ago when I was young. She was the family pet. After we got her she started to get bad skin and itching all the time.

Eventually found out she was allergic to meat! So we had to feed her a veggie diet. But she did very well on it and never had a problem after she was taken of the meat.

A few of my friends have westies too and they have skin problems. They feed dry food that is wheat gluten free and it seems to keep the problem at bay.

Hope he stops itching soon, good luck.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >