View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2006, 07:49 PM

boarding kennel licensing procedures query?

A friend of mine (who is doing the same course as me) wants to set up her own boarding kennels. Now I know that she will need a boarding license etc and this is carried out by the local council. BUT what we want to know is, does this only apply once the boarding kennels are built, or could she obtain the license BEFORE the kennels are built?
Or will she need another license to build kennels? Anyone know?

All advice appreciated
Retrievermad
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
A friend of mine (who is doing the same course as me) wants to set up her own boarding kennels. Now I know that she will need a boarding license etc and this is carried out by the local council. BUT what we want to know is, does this only apply once the boarding kennels are built, or could she obtain the license BEFORE the kennels are built?
Or will she need another license to build kennels? Anyone know?

All advice appreciated

Hi,

I think depending on which council you deal with they are quite strict and can turn you down if you don't have adequate off road parking facilities and also many councils are now demanding brick built kennels with running water, lighting and drainage. Long gone are putting up some neaversons (very good wooden kennels and runs) and getting a licence here. I think your friend will need planning permission first for building the kennels and then apply for the boarding licence and inspection form the councils Animal welfare office. they do yearly inspections aswell. Hope this helps
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi.
If starting from scratch then you will need to get in touch with the local environmental health officer, to see if they have any specific requirements for kennels. They will expect plans etc.. and will say yes or no to those plans. When the kennels are complete, an inspection will be carried out and if successful you will be issued with your license.
Dawn.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:49 PM
CHeers Retrievermad & Borderdawn, I have printed this off for friend so that she knows who to contact etc... Thanks for your help