Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
What a horrible ignorant man.

I was walking my whippets the other day and someone stopped me and said what lovely dogs but be carefull of those nasty staffies that are around here. I pointed out I walk along that path every day and have only ever met one nasty staffie and that one wasn't on the path but ran across the road after my italians one day.

As I say I have whippets and a greyhound and people put their samll dogs on leads and say my dogs are killer dogs and shouldn't be allowed off leads. My whippets are always on flexi leads and never run free unless in and enclosed area.
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Sending massive hugs to you...what a sad world we live in

Mum walked woofs this am and stopped and chatted to a lady with a shihzu (?sp)...when a man asked could his dog say hello. Mum and lady said yes of course and they all played for a while. The man couldnt stop saying thank you...when asked why..he said cos my woof is a staffie every one says no and pull their dogs and/or children away...man walked off on cloud 9...what a shame for him and his woof...
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:26 AM
What a horrid man! Sorry to hear that you had such a nasty experiance hope your feeling ok now
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
What an awful experience hon, he obviously hasn't got a clue,I couldn't agree more with the posts telling you just to ignore him, if he thinks you have a killer dog then why on earth was he shouting in your face? Little man syndrome as someone else said.

Also 1) I wonder if he would have had the same reaction had you been a 6 foot strapping man and 2)if hes so concerned about his precious babies why is he not watching them properly!

He's not important in your life and is clearly not a very nice person so don't waste your time worrying about him! x
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Thankyou everyone knew you lot would cheer me up

Took Rox and her pal alfie to godalming town show this afternoon and got lots of lovely compliments and neither of them put a foot wrong so very proud of my girl right now, and definatly proud to be a staffy owner!

I know hes just too big for his boots but it just knocks you when it comes from nowhere like that doesnt it!

Thinking about it now I think ive met his wife (i assume) with those 3 and they just passed us with only the grey off to have sniff with rox, but she was fine about it and said hello!!!

Might mention it to her if i bump into her again.....
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 05:16 PM
So sorry you were upset (I would have been too) and glad you are now feeling a bit better. Awful awful ignorant moron. (not you, the man )
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Got a similar torrent of abuse the other week from a staffy owner about my Husky cross..

His darling 'irish blue pup' - thery're rare you know! had come running over to muzzled and on lead huskamute Kismet, it was only a pup, all gangly and silly, no manners and jumped all over her, which she tolerated admirably. I was very proud of her... But eventually she had enough and told the pup off with a sharp grr bak and pushed him with her muzzle. The little pup yelped and threw himself to the ground with a scream. I thought.. good boy.. That's some good respect you are learning for your elders, that will get you out of a lot of trouble later in life.. but was then surprised as the owner of the pup came running over from the car park where he had just been sat in his car watching his pup play havoc with dogs entering and leaving the field to give me a torrent of abuse about how my 'wolf dog' was going to cause his dog to become aggressive to dogs and how if his dog was so dangerous it had to be muzzled like mine he'd have it put to sleep! I looked at the poor staffy pup and wished I could scoop him up and take him home.. what chance does he have?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 07:08 PM
So sorry you were upset-totally rude and unnecessary.
It doesn't excuse his behaviour but perhaps the other dog owner was scared? "Fear leads to anger, and anger to the dark side" is a quote my husband says to me as I can be quite stroppy when I'm frightened! I don't go around shouting at innocent dog owners though!

I have been at the other end of breed prejudice once or twice at a dog show and it's not nice as Parker is a real sweetie of a Kerry Blue and he shouldn't be judged because other owners have met nasty Kerries at higher level shows. It is upsetting but best to ignore. I did feel like commenting when a Golden Retriever owner moved her dog away from Parker and glared at him "Oh, is your dog aggressive? thanks for moving him away. My friend had a GR who was aggressive and it had to be put to sleep after savaging a kennel maid's arm when he left it in kennels" but I kept quiet!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Blimey! There was no need for that! What a stupid man and horrible too! Just so that you know, I have just acquired one of these beautiful staffies and she's gorgeous!
I wish I'd met him....I'd have told him that it was my lurcher he needed to worry about not my staffie!! Idiot!
I hope you've recovered from this uncalled for abuse.
There really are some a...holes about!!
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm very sorry you went through that, his reaction was definitely uncalled for....BUT, that being said, we don't know what kind of experiences he's had in the past that made FEAR jump straight to his head before logic..and as much as we may not agree with how he dealt with it, we don't all release that fear or express it the same way.
I love pitbulls...I really do. But no way in heck are they getting near Luke. IF I could find one that I actually trusted, both the owner and the dog, and it was a female, then fine...but there is literally not ONE pitbull, pit mix, staffie in this neighborhood, not ONE...that isn't severely dog aggressive. We have atleast 20, that I've seen...alot of them never get out of the apartment the are so aggressive, so I haven't seen them. Some are even people aggresssive. The ones that aren't HA love me to death when I'm out without Luke...but they see a dog a half mile away and they're ready to fight.

Since I am NO good with dog fights..I just dont risk it. I feel bad, because I don't want to be that way, but my dog is worth more to me any day than whether someone else happens to think I'm judgemental or prejudiced against pits. Because take my dog out of the equation, I'll sit there for hours and love on those dogs.
Let me tell ya..when I had that loose pitbull coming at Luke like a bat out of hell one night, I didn't stop to think..."oh maybe this one is'nt like the others in the neighborhood. Maybe this one is actually safe with other dogs. Maybe she's really NOT trying to go for Luke's throat." No...I started kicking. And never even thought of the danger to ME until after I got home and calmed down. I wasn't thinking of the fairness of media hype or the people I know online who have staffies or pits that are great with other dogs...I was seeing a fight, that Luke couldnt hope to win...and trying to prevent it. He has played with one, a blue nose pup who hadn't matured yet..and did great. But only because he was a baby.
I know it must be horrible to have people fear the breed you love, and react to that....but try to understand that for some of us, it's not what we WANT to feel, it just is what it is.
Same with rotties...Im trying to get over my distrust of them, my nervousness...and I've actually stopped to meet three in teh past couple of weeks. I was proud of myself lol. The third one kind of set me back a bit..but overall it was nice to be near one again. I dont WANT to feel that way about them either.
But I'll tell ya...if Luke was in danger, or I really believed he was, I'd hate to be the owner of the dogs. I may not mean to freak out, but I just might.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3