View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 07:19 AM
I knew a UK breeder who certainly used to say that---not sure what they say now.

It was written into their 'contract'

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 07:25 AM
These stipulations sort of remind me of wedding vows........................

a lot of people do not keep those either

Seems to me these breeders have high aspirations.......
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Thing is...what right does the breeder have over the dog once the contracts are signed and the money has been paid. AFAIK not many of these contracts are legally binding. And how is the breeder going to check that the dog is being fed raw?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Thing is...what right does the breeder have over the dog once the contracts are signed and the money has been paid. AFAIK not many of these contracts are legally binding. And how is the breeder going to check that the dog is being fed raw?
Exactly. Their attitude is very dictatorial
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-06-2011, 08:13 AM
I think a breeder can stipulate anything they want, but enforcing it is a completey different matter.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 08:16 AM
I do wean on to raw but I also introduce a complete for one of their meals.

I give a weeks supply of food to the new puppy owner and full instructions on how to change over the pups diet if they need to.

More often than not people tend to go for the complete puppy food I have supplied then feed what is convenient when they change to adult.
There is no way I could change that and feeding raw is not for everyone.
If you are not judgmental about these things and you have a good relationship new puppy owners tend to come and ask for advise in the future about these things anyway.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
where i worked, the last litter was weaned onto raw food, and she preferred it if the owners would continue it. she wouldnt say no to someone who woulnd carry on, because there are other more important things to owning the dog, but she wouldnt let some one have a pup if they flat out refused, without letting her explain about raw food, and what she believed to be benefits etc.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with it & indeed would do this for my puppies. My dogs have been fed raw & a holistic organic complete for a very long time before raw feeding became popular & called BARF.

Having seen what goes into some complete foods & all the additives, chemicals etc that added to the vast majority of complete feeds I am ultra careful what I give my dogs, I don't want the additives/chemicals etc to damage my dogs & as a result I have dogs that never have any stomach problems, never have health problems caused by food & can literally eat anything.

I have a friend whose dogs have all had digestion problems, she slavishly follows advice given by her vet re diet & has only had one dog make old age(a rescue)all the others have had serious problems throughout their lives
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't see it any more controlling than rescues who stipulate that puppies must be spayed/neutered when old enough. They believe it's best for the dog and why would they want less than the best for their puppies?
Many people feed raw as they believe commercial foods are totally unsuitable. You would probably find it reasonable for a breeder to insist puppies aren't fed on rubbish like Bakers, so why not being against kibble entirely if they believe it's not a suitable food for dogs? Yes, they can't guarantee that the owner would feed raw but they can request it in the hope that it puts off unsuitable owners. Just like a rescue or breeder can't guarantee that a pup will be neutered, walked, vaccinated, given vet treatment, etc., they doesn't mean they shouldn't stipulate these things in their contract.
If I was to adopt another dog and the rescue said that the dog must be fed commercial food, not a raw diet, then I would question why (incase it was just a blanket policy they'd budge on for the right person, or misinformation giving them this view), but if they wouldn't budge then I would respect that and adopt a dog from a rescue that didn't have this stipulation.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with it & indeed would do this for my puppies. My dogs have been fed raw & a holistic organic complete for a very long time before raw feeding became popular & called BARF.

Having seen what goes into some complete foods & all the additives, chemicals etc that added to the vast majority of complete feeds I am ultra careful what I give my dogs, I don't want the additives/chemicals etc to damage my dogs & as a result I have dogs that never have any stomach problems, never have health problems caused by food & can literally eat anything.

I have a friend whose dogs have all had digestion problems, she slavishly follows advice given by her vet re diet & has only had one dog make old age(a rescue)all the others have had serious problems throughout their lives
How would you propose to enforce it?

As for the second point I highlighted, you could say the same for plenty of dogs who are fed commercial diets. Doesn't mean anything IMO.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »