View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2011, 04:50 PM

I Blummin give up trying to have dry floor!!....

Keira just loves the water which is great, she thinks the water bowl is a mini paddling pool I think as all she would do with the one on the floor is drink a bit then paddle!....

Anyway I got a coop cup for her crate so thats fine she does have go but shes not in there long enough for it to be a problem (except at night potentially).. I did buy a feeder/ waterer that is raised to try and stop this.... the little maddam has twigged how to pick the water bowl out of this and now carries it around (after flooding my floor with the water !!

I am a bt stuck as well are doing leave training but I can't teach her leave water as she has to drink!!

Any tips or is it possible she'll just grow out of it? xx
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Best thing we found to control the water bowl air hockey factor on our kitchen floor (the laminate's already shot from a water leak thankfully so I'm not precious on that front) was just getting an offcut of carpet, wedging it slightly under some furniture and putting water bowls on that. He can't boot it around as much from carpet.
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Best thing we found to control the water bowl air hockey factor on our kitchen floor (the laminate's already shot from a water leak thankfully so I'm not precious on that front) was just getting an offcut of carpet, wedging it slightly under some furniture and putting water bowls on that. He can't boot it around as much from carpet.
Thanks Dizzi, I did try that, bought a small mat that was meant for dog bowls, non slip but that didnt help, still just pawed at it, tahts when I went for the raised bowl, I don't mind the water too much to be honest, except when I land on my a**e like a did the other day , I have a tiled floor so like you I'm not precious, I'm more bothered that she spends the time without water, shes left overnight for about 7 hours so if she does it as soon as I leave her she doesn't have water through the night
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:05 PM
When you find the cure let me know.

If you don;t mind looks, a bucket in a tyre is pretty good.

At 10 weeks old my GSD picked up the ceramic water bowl (full) and carried from the kitchen into the sitting room.

He is, like a lot of GSD, a bit of a water babe, hence the bolt stainless steel non spill bowls in the car. The only thing he cannot dislodge, overturn or pick up.

They were not cheap £12.50 but include the hoop and fixing and holds 1.5 litres of water.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Still struggling with that one myself I'm afraid.
Bill paddled in the big metal bowl, so I tried a tough plastic one - he ate it!
So went back to the metal one on some carpet - he ate the carpet!
It now travels the kitchen daily....
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Lol, this has gotta be a gsd puppy "thing" hasn't it!! I resorted to a big bucket in my kitchen learned from many years ago, they dunk their paws in it, but they can't tip it over and they can't splash it all about either. For the crate, I resorted to a really big heavy casserole dish that just couldn't be tipped over during the night!

Sadly, they never grow out of this water "thing" though
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
When you find the cure let me know.

If you don;t mind looks, a bucket in a tyre is pretty good.

At 10 weeks old my GSD picked up the ceramic water bowl (full) and carried from the kitchen into the sitting room.

He is, like a lot of GSD, a bit of a water babe, hence the bolt stainless steel non spill bowls in the car. The only thing he cannot dislodge, overturn or pick up.

They were not cheap £12.50 but include the hoop and fixing and holds 1.5 litres of water.
Hmm I dont think I will SB, where are yours from as I might invest in one of those, she can knock the coop cup out if she has a mischief head on and it isn't very big but it was better than her having no water x
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Lol, this has gotta be a gsd puppy "thing" hasn't it!! I resorted to a big bucket in my kitchen learned from many years ago, they dunk their paws in it, but they can't tip it over and they can't splash it all about either. For the crate, I resorted to a really big heavy casserole dish that just couldn't be tipped over during the night!

Sadly, they never grow out of this water "thing" though
I love how much she loves the water, I introduced her to the water at the waterpark near us the other day, they have a boat ramp so she was able to explore it at her own pace, didn't take long for my beautiful fluffy GSD pup to turn into a drowned rat! So cute though

Originally Posted by CuteRotts View Post
Still struggling with that one myself I'm afraid.
Bill paddled in the big metal bowl, so I tried a tough plastic one - he ate it!
So went back to the metal one on some carpet - he ate the carpet!
It now travels the kitchen daily....
Just have to learn to live with kitchen puddles then x
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:58 PM
What did you all do when introducing your GSDs to water?

Do you have flotation aids? She is still on the long line at the minute, recall is getting much better thanks again to SB for the article but just wondering once she is allowed off in a few months what do I do about letting her into the water?

I have seen a hydro pool and might book her into that? x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Lovesgsds View Post
What did you all do when introducing your GSDs to water?

Do you have flotation aids? She is still on the long line at the minute, recall is getting much better thanks again to SB for the article but just wondering once she is allowed off in a few months what do I do about letting her into the water?

I have seen a hydro pool and might book her into that? x
Well my GSD got his first taste of water when he was about 3 months old, I have never worked out if he fell or was pushed but ended up in the River Trent!

So that was his "introduction" he has rarely been out of it since.

Never had a flotation aid as (apart from this one episode) has gone in safe water.

My GSD would beat his chest and yell and swing from a rope as his water entry if he was human.

Hydropools are a good safe way of introducing puppies to water if you do not have any shallow streams near you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >