Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Einstein's Dad!
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-11-2009, 02:06 AM

The most BASIC training

Hi All, was wondering if you could help me with something.

I have a Golden Retriever named Einstein, he's 2 but he only understand one word basically, and that's SIT -my fault, i know. I should have sat down to train him more as a pup but work and other priorities got in the way. He's still a lovable lug though...

My QUESTION is this: If you don't plan to seriously train your dog at all, what are the most basic things that he/she should know -apart from where not to pee or poop?

Thanks a lot!
Roby
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Don't knock it - there's plenty of dogs out there that don't even know 'sit' and Einstein is still young at two years old.

'Sit' is a pretty handy command and if you have it cracked it's a command which can be used in all manner of situations - waiting for food, crossing the road, leaving things alone, ignoring other dogs, not jumping up, not rushing out of the car etc etc.

I guess the most obvious one after 'sit' is 'stay' and 'recall'.

If 'sit' works - work with 'stay' - walk away (with him staying) then work on recall which is much easier than stay as you can use food LOL

For me recall is the most important command as if all else fails you can regain control of the dog in awkward situations.

After sit, stay and recall (a good basic set of commands) I guess it's down to what you want from Einstein.

For a retriever - 'fetch' and of course 'drop' or 'leave' should be something he'd enjoy and would be a natural progression from the 'sit', 'stay' & recall commands.

PS

Leaving food alone is a handy one too.

I'm sure you will get better advice but good luck and most of all - have fun !
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Down and come
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Recall is the most important for me. And Wait. Both for reasons of safety.
But the thing mostpeople have trouble with is walking on lead without pulling.
You can train an older dog the same as you can a puppy. Older dogs may take a little longer, that`s all.
It`s important to find out what the dog enjoys most (food treats or toys/ play) then you can use that as a lure and reward. This makes learning fun for the dog.
Have you got a puppy training book?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I think the 'leave' command is very important.
If you are walking down the road or in the park and theres something on the floor - weather it be rotton food, or poison!
You need your dog to be able to leave it
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 10:32 AM
All good
I also find 'off' invaluable - so I can get on the sofa and stop mucky dogs going on it
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:47 PM
housetraining, sit, stay, leaving, recall.
ATD x
Einstein's Dad!
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-12-2009, 12:29 AM
@ PHil: He knows SIT about 75% of the time except for when he's excited about something and all retained knowledge goes out the window! I'll work on STAY when I have SIT down pat.

@Claire/Phil: RECALL sounds like an important command to master for obvious reasons and especially so, I think, coz Einy is a big dog. But can I use BACK instead? coz it's shorter...

@Hevvur: LEAVE is gonna be the fourth word I (try) to teach him.

One last question: How many hours per day should I do this for?

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Will post pics of Einstein soon.

Roby (Einstein's Dad)
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I think the 'leave' command is very important.
If you are walking down the road or in the park and theres something on the floor - weather it be rotton food, or poison!
You need your dog to be able to leave it
I totally have to use this one lots- werm seems to find anything nasty left on the floor- but she is such a good girl at leaving it- really has to be said in the sternest of tones through!!
Einstein's Dad!
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Oh, almost forgot. With regards the BASIC TRAINING, do I need to use a choker? It seems like such a cruel way to train a dog, or any animal for that matter. And what are the more humane alternatives?

Thanks again,
Roby (Einstein's Dad)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >