View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mdifrancia
New Member!

03-09-2005, 05:51 PM

Doris has Cancer

Well...It took over two months...six thousand dollars...and countless jaunts all over the state, but Doris has Cancer...

As you may recall...It started with Doris getting a weird hacking cough...Shortly there after, she went blind...(optic nueritis they said)...Then came the CT scans and endoscopes to find the tumor in her sinuses (the one that didn't exisist)...All the while, I kept saying that the cough was getting worse and that I believed they were connected...NO ONE LISTENED!!!...There was the odd choking incident were she collapsed at a cook out because she got food lodged in her throat...I had to reach down her throat and pull the food out...I told the vet, but no one checked her throat...They just explained it all away...Finally...as they were preparing to do another scope, they were having trouble intervating (sp?) her and that's when they stumbled upon a huge spindle cell tumor in her throat...It has wrapped around various veins and arteries and (even if we could afford the surgery and radiation treatments) there is nope hope of survival, just an extension of her days...

Her health is deteriorating quickly now...She no longer has interest in her 3 favorite things (the barometer my vet measures quality of life by)...and tomorrow morning, I plan on taking her in to have her put to sleep...

I've had animals my entire life and I put my first dog down when I was 5 years old...I know how this works and I understand why it's neccessary...But of ALL the animals I've met in my 40 years on this planet...DORIS IS EXCEPTIONAL...She has a spirit that I've never seen in an animal before...Everyone she's ever encountered feels it...She touches everyone she meets...People all over this country have met and adore this dog...I can't imagine snuffing out a spirit like her...I wish she would just pass in the night, but I know, I'm going to have to do the unbearable...We lived in the French Quarter a few years back (she was very popular on Bourbon Street) and I feel bad whining about this while people we know and love are suffering so badly...But my heart is breaking and I'm not sure how I can do this...
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-09-2005, 05:57 PM
My heart goes out to you Doris sounds a wonderful dog.

Thinking of you at this sad time, Anne xxx
Carole
Supervisor

03-09-2005, 06:03 PM
so sorry to hear about Doris.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow
Meg
Supervisor

03-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Mdfrncia ..I am so very sorry to hear about Doris.. After all that has happened and the 'snow episode' I feel I know her personally

Nothing we can say here will make things less painful for you...the more you love something the greater the loss ...be assured we do understand what you are feeling right now ...((hug))
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 07:32 PM
A very very sad time for you, I think you are doing right by Doris, the final act of kindness for her. I hope your Vet learns from this too.
Dawn.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 08:21 PM
I am thinking of you, at this sad sad time. Take care Karen
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 08:37 PM
I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

It will be 12 months 10th September since I had to have my beloved 5.5 year old stafford bitch put to sleep due to cancer, I really feel for you
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Doris sounds like an exceptional dog and I understand the heartbreak which you are going through at this time.

We will be thinking of you tommorrow.

Aileen x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Oh my heart goes out to you and I know what pain you will be in right now, I went through the same thing last year with the dog who I loved more than any dog I had ever had before, it broke my heart to do what I had to do with him. I too wished that he would just pass away peacefully in his sleep but his illness was killing him slowly and making life very uncomfortable for him and I could not bear to see him like this He had Anal furunclosis and the vets could do no more for him He was only nearly 6 years old as well. I felt like I killed him personally I hope you have the strength to do what you have to do even though it will break your heart to do so. its never easy losing one of our family like this. So very very sorry
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

03-09-2005, 09:40 PM
So very sorry Mdifrancia

That lovely spirit will walk beside you always.

Once you have given Doris that final gift of love do come back here if you feel the need to talk. We understand the pain and heartache that you feel.

My thoughts are with you.
SB
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >