View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Serious Connection Problems can anyone help?

HELP please,

Just about evry site I try and go to my pc gives me a DNS server not found message, this has included, the bbc, yahoo, the book of face, a pro board based forum, ebay, next, tesco and so the list goes on.

In fact Dogsey and Talk talk are the only sites I can get on.

I have windows XP and I went to tools and selected Diagnose connection problems, it gave me a message saying connectivity had been restored however I still get this dns error and cant get into sites???

I have copied part of the diagnostic test log (the bits with errors in it)

Any help VERY musch appreciated

"WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
error Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error -1.
error Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error -1.
error A connectivity problem exists with a base winsock provider.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn HTTPS: Error 12037 connecting to www.passport.net: The date in the certificate is invalid or has expired
info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection. "

Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Try restarting the PC - as that might reset everything for you..
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Try restarting the PC - as that might reset everything for you..
Thanks azz, but nno joy, today its just Dogsey that I can get on, and every 2nd or 3rd time I go to a new page I get the DNS error

Have googled it on my phone and it seems that one of the possibilities is a very corrupt windows, I already know my windows is corrupt so I am swaying towards that.

I am just so scared to reinstall windows in case I lose all my pics and vids despite the fact I have copied them to my 2nd internal hard drive. And I am sooo bad with technology I am worried I might never get back online if it all goes wromg. So if I am missing for a while its because a windows reinstall went wrong!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Instead of doing a re-install, you could do a 'repair' - that might fix it
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks Azz

At the minute even XP is causing me headaches!!

I have the COA for windows XP and it says the same code as when I use software to find the key on my pc, I have even carried out the check online to ensure my xp is indeed genuine and when I try to enter the code it tells me it is invalid.

I have now tried entering it with antivirus turned off as suggested online but that made no difference, and the next 2 suggestions seem a bit above my head

Disable the anti-virus settings in your computer's Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) before you start Setup. For more information, view the documentation included with your motherboard or computer, or contact the manufacturer of your motherboard or computer. - I don't have any documentation, I don't even know who nade my motherboard

Verify that the computer's system date is correct. For information about how to check the date in your computer's CMOS settings, view the documentation included with your motherboard or computer, or contact the manufacturer of your motherboard or computer as above - no idea about mother boards etc!!

At least I can still get on dogsey but thats about it really....should have got a dogsey email all these years ago when it was offered
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 03:16 PM
no idea how to fix it hun, but on the bright side, at least your still getting on this site,

can you imagine the hell on earth if you couldnt get on here lmao
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 08:01 PM
To be honest Lynn, I'd take it to a local pc repair shop and pass the headache onto them. Sometimes it's worth paying someone else to sort it and I work in IT. I only do simple things myself and I either take the more complicated ones to the engineers at work our our local repair shop! Hope you get sorted soon. xx
titchs owner
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2010, 12:28 AM
have you tried restoring it
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-05-2010, 09:27 PM
To follow up Titch's owner I would go to the System Restore settings.

When you look at the possible dates for resetting the machine to - you should see the dates on which your system was modified.

If I were you I would look back over those dates and think about the time when your machine started to give problems. Select a date prior to that and see what your machine does.

System restore does what it says - but does not alter any updates that have been installed.

Hope that helps