Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Video editing and other software

My mum and I run a charity and we have just been given a grant to get a new PC and software

So I was wondering whats good software for video editing for you tube type videos (we want to do 'how too' tutorials)

and just any advice on software at all - I am totaly starting from scratch, the only think I know is I dont want an apple and I need something that runs excel files with macros

Its exciting - but a little scary - my pc is 5 years old with recond from uni with uni softwear so I have never had to pick from the start

Hoping we have some fab computer people on here!
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-12-2009, 10:03 AM
put 'video editing software' into Google - and take your pick!!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Right, especially as you're a charity try to use Free and Open Source software. Charitable donations are supposed to go on the cause intended, not lining some big corporations pockets! Here's a directory.

Whilst we're on the subject of your charity's money not going to big corporations, you say you don't want to know about Apple but what about Microsoft? They'll want your £££. Consider a free and open source operating system! My web pages are full of (hopefully) useful links.
DogBoy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Tbh if you aren't familiar with video editing software i would stick with windows movie maker (if you go the MS route) and maybe get a cheap piece of screen recording software as this will be helpful when constructing tutorials
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-12-2009, 09:46 AM
On the thing about needing Excel macros...

You can run a GNU/Linux system and use Excel on it through these guys. The only reason I recommend Codeweavers instead of Wine is for the support!

Well, I hope you've got enough info to make an informed decision that'll get the most value for money for your charity. Give us a shout if you think I might have access to more resources & I'll see what I can find.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys - I am looking into everything!!