Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2006, 04:26 PM

From little acorns? (tree fern pics)

From little acorns or in this case small fury springy thingys!

To mighty oaks or in this case leafy plants!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 04:32 PM
When your feeling lonely, and when your feeling blue, Just remember that the mighty oak, was once a nut like you

Sorry just had to say that.

Lovely pics
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2006, 06:38 PM
I would love an Australian tree fern Luke cause a particular corner of my garden is dedicated to tropical style plants like Bamboos etc.I would need a large tree fern specimen to create visual impact,but they are just too darn expensive when big and i cant justify the cost no matter how it looks.They grow everso slowly so for one to reach 6ft high+ takes several hundred years so buying a baby plant is not an option!

I paid £80 for a Chinese windmill palm several years ago which took some courage when spending on one tree alone,but it looks superb now though and have no regrets cause Abe is buried next to it.

If you make a cage out of chicken wire Luke and wrap this around the fern and stuff straw (not hay) inside-this will insulate it and stops the leaves from dropping off.Saves waiting ages for new leaves to unfold in spring and gives it a head start!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the tips steve!!
I think you should get a tree fern....they are very nice you know
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Great photos Luke - made me feel homesick for NZ! I don't mean to sound "know-all" Steve but they don't take hundreds of years to grow to six foot - maybe about 4-5 years - you should buy one! In our local garden centre they have NZ ferns (Ponga) about 2ft tall for £39.95 - bargain! I bought a baby fern at the end of last summer and over winter it looked really bad and I thought that was it but lo and behold come this spring it just came away bigtime - looks lush and fresh - doesn't like the direct hot sun though.

Go for it!