View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-12-2016, 11:10 PM

Warning-Beef Jerky, dog treats etc

Just had this from the guy who runs the training club I go to. Now I had already heard of this sort of thing happening, and make my own treats nowadays, but lots of people don't know, so thought I'd copy/paste it onto here

don't give your dog's any food bought in B&M i.e beef jerky,dog treats etc made in China. Vet has had to put 2 dogs down in last 2 weeks as they are injected with something that destroys their kidneys! vet has put a report in but may take time to have stuff removed from shelves. tell everyone you know with a dog.

Its not only B&M that sell them either, so give everything a swerve until you are sure of their origins and contents
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Its not only B&M that sell them either, so give everything a swerve until you are sure of their origins and contents
Thanks for the warning.
Home Bargains are another one to watch out for. The treats we use are from Sainsbury or Tesco, I just checked and they are made in UK or Germany. Also use Bakers Sizzlers and Pedigree Dentastix I would like to think they are OK as well.
If it doesn't say on the pack where it is made one can assume it's China or somewhere equally lax in standards.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2016, 10:00 PM
I'm with June on this one; I don't feed any dog treats that are "out of a packet". Ben occasionally has pork scratchings in the pub - full of preservatives I know, but he tolerates them - or he has home baked liver treats. Bits of cheese are good - he adores ripe Brie - but I would never feed something like Dentastix - a good old raw meaty bone is much better in my opinion.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Dentastix gives mine the runs, and they don't need them if they have bones.
Another thing about these so called dog treats from Asia is that some are actually made from the skin of dogs that have been despatched with terrible brutality
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2016, 06:18 PM
I bought a dehydrator as part of the dogs Christmas present (or so I told them) to make chews for them.

I've only had time to use it once and made them liver, tripe, heart and tongue strips which they seem to enjoy. Next time I plan to dry chicken, turkey and some whitebait which my little man is particularly fond of!

Fortunately over here most treats are made in Germany. As neither of them like biscuit type treats i use tiny cubes of cheese, frankfurters or salami sticks for training.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-12-2016, 06:31 PM
I have heard of this before and avoid like the plague.
Dillon has winalot biscuits and some small bones to put in his treat ball from a farm/dog food shop He also has wagg treats for when out walking I try to buy as natural as I can.
Quite a few dog food shops keep natural treats in. Do have a dehydrator and hoping to find more time this year to use it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-12-2016, 06:53 PM
I keep hearing about dehydrators, I may look for one. I do cook liver or ox heart for treats. Buy the packets of chicken pieces they sell in the freezer at Home Bargains for training treats as well.
These packets of dog treats aren't even all meat, and Baxters stuff is full of additives, far cheaper and healthier for your dog to make your own
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2016, 12:24 PM
June, get a dehydrator...you won't regret it, I make liver cake and then dehydrate it so it goes like biscuits, will keep for ages. I dehydrate steak, liver fruit and the dogs love it
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2016, 01:49 PM
I'm obviously a meanie cos apart from a few gravy bones my dogs treats are sharing my apple, my satsuma, or the crust from my toast. Dentastix are grim and are gone in seconds so how do they clean a dogs teeth, much better to give them a bone.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Dentistix are like 'Puppy Milk' a product foisted on the uneducated to convince them their dog/puppy will wither and die without them
There's really only Zen who has training treats on a regular basis, but still interested in a hydrator. Any recommends on the best value for money
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >