Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sashando
New Member!
Male 

24-12-2016, 12:49 PM

Dog feeding

Hi guys,

I'm at newbie in the dog world... I just got a beautiful smaller labrador mix from the dog pound. She's about 2 years old and she's really skinny. She's also constantly hungry. I'm feeding her regular dog food twice a day, but because she's so hungry all the time and quite skinny, I'm giving her a bit more food... During lunch time I give her a bit of my food or some other 'human' food laying around. Always small portions... Not even half of what I give her in the mornings at night... And I give her little snacks once in a while.

Anyways, my question is whether the amount of food I'm giving her is enough or if I should give her either larger quantities or feed her more often until she gains the appropriate weight.

Thanks a lot for the help in advance!

Greetings from Prague.

Fernando.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-12-2016, 02:12 PM
I think she needs worming, possibly got tapeworm. Get her to a vet because if she has a very heavy worm burden it could be fatal and she needs proper treatment
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-12-2016, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I think she needs worming, possibly got tapeworm. Get her to a vet because if she has a very heavy worm burden it could be fatal and she needs proper treatment
That was my first thought.
We do it with Drontal every three months.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-12-2016, 02:40 PM
Could be worms, could be a thyroid issue, make an appointment to see the vet and in the meantime I would feed more often rather than larger meals.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Sashando View Post
Hi guys,

I'm at newbie in the dog world... I just got a beautiful smaller labrador mix from the dog pound. She's about 2 years old and she's really skinny. She's also constantly hungry. I'm feeding her regular dog food twice a day, but because she's so hungry all the time and quite skinny, I'm giving her a bit more food... During lunch time I give her a bit of my food or some other 'human' food laying around. Always small portions... Not even half of what I give her in the mornings at night... And I give her little snacks once in a while.

Anyways, my question is whether the amount of food I'm giving her is enough or if I should give her either larger quantities or feed her more often until she gains the appropriate weight.

Greetings from Prague.

Fernando.
Welcome to the forum and greetings from me in Hungary!

I also agree that a visit to the vet is essential for worm treatment and a general health check up is essential.

If it is worms then once she's rid of them she should start putting on weight.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Drontal is very good, I use it alongside Panacur, however if this poor dog has had them for a while, maybe even since a puppy, its going to need a lot more than Drontal to shift them.
Unless the breeders of this dog had a very good worming routine and the dam and puppies were wormed, then there is every liklihood it has been born with them.
RuthEllison
New Member!
Female 

26-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Sashando View Post
Hi guys,

Greetings from Prague.

Fernando.
As you have mentioned that she is skinny and is hungry, I think she is lacking some kind of nutrient. Human food is not that health as compared to dog food. If you're confused about what food to give her, you can go for dog meal suppliers. You know, they are quite experienced and know what breed should be given what amount of food according to their age. So I think for your dog you can go for dog meal suppliers like NYC dog food delivery, Brooklyn dog food delivery, NYC grass-fed dog food and more.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by RuthEllison View Post
As you have mentioned that she is skinny and is hungry, I think she is lacking some kind of nutrient. Human food is not that health as compared to dog food. If you're confused about what food to give her, you can go for dog meal suppliers. You know, they are quite experienced and know what breed should be given what amount of food according to their age. So I think for your dog you can go for dog meal suppliers like NYC dog food delivery, Brooklyn dog food delivery, NYC grass-fed dog food and more.
If you look at the OP's first post you'll see he lives in Prague. Czech Republic Eastern Europe which is over 4000 miles from New York!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-12-2016, 02:26 PM
LOL people don't always look do they??? As I've already said, its not the amount of food, there is a problem which may well be worms, if its a tapeworm, then it needs sorting as the OP could well end up with an unwelcome resident themselves!!!!
RuthEllison
New Member!
Female 

27-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
If you look at the OP's first post you'll see he lives in Prague. Czech Republic Eastern Europe which is over 4000 miles from New York!
Hey, Did not noticed @Sashando's location. Actually I just wanted to tell @Sashando that he should go for such dog food suppliers because even I order food from one of them. Even he can look online dog food suppliers in this locality. My dog is fit because of the food I feed him with.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >