Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2012, 04:38 PM

Recommend dry food brand?

I have fed my dogs on James wellbeloved Senior for several years, as one of them has a beef allergy. We have a new pup and don't know whether to continue with the same brand or not, the vets keep giving me samples of Hill's and money off vouchers. I have used Hills before about 20 years ago. I'm open to other suggestions

He is a Dacshund by the way, any advice please
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:47 PM
I'd try the James Wellbeloved with the new pup first.

There are many others though, so it's what suits him, really.

Some suggestions are Fish4dogs, Burns, Arden Grange, Applaws, Barking Heads and Skinners.

Moist foods to accompany them, if you wish to, are Nature Diet, Natures Harvest, Natures Menu, James Wellbeloved pouches, Burns pouches, Arden Grange Partners, Fish4ddogs salmon mousse, Applaws tins and Lily's Kitchen trays and tins.

Have a look at them all.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm with Westie. Try him on JWB and see what his reaction is to it, especially as some places will do offers like buy one get one half price.
I feed fish4dogs at the moment and now my dog has got bored of the fish flavour -_- so i'm probably going to try JWB especially as she's getting a little porky in her old age.

p.s.
Wainwrights (P@H own brand) is pretty similar (i personally trust it more) and it's about £15 less but you do need to feed a little more of it so i don't know which will work out best
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
I'm with Westie. Try him on JWB and see what his reaction is to it, especially as some places will do offers like buy one get one half price.
I feed fish4dogs at the moment and now my dog has got bored of the fish flavour -_- so i'm probably going to try JWB especially as she's getting a little porky in her old age.

p.s.
Wainwrights (P@H own brand) is pretty similar (i personally trust it more) and it's about £15 less but you do need to feed a little more of it so i don't know which will work out best
Thanks. It's not that I don't think he will like it or that it's not any good, just that with the other dog we didn't have a choice, so was interested to see what else people recommend. I tried Wainwrights with the others, it didn't seem much cheaper and I didn't like the fact you are restricted to one place of purchase.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:24 PM
I have fed mine on hills and found it very overpriced when you look at whats in it, same with Royal canin. So i would try the JWB or look at one of the ones listed by westie
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
I didn't like the fact you are restricted to one place of purchase.
I've looked at a large variety of dog foods and personally i rate WW very highly. Just because it's what i prefer doesn't mean that's the only place i get the food from. She's been on numerous others but with WW she always seems in much better condition
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
I've looked at a large variety of dog foods and personally i rate WW very highly. Just because it's what i prefer doesn't mean that's the only place i get the food from. She's been on numerous others but with WW she always seems in much better condition
I thought you could only buy it from petsathome?
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
I thought you could only buy it from petsathome?
Sorry just checked, i misread your message
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 06:43 PM
i used to feed JWB, but changed over to Skinners duck and rice... sometimes salmon and rice or turkey and rice. ... Its hypoallergenic and so much cheaper and as good quality as JWB! really good, never looked back!
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
i used to feed JWB, but changed over to Skinners duck and rice... sometimes salmon and rice or turkey and rice. ... Its hypoallergenic and so much cheaper and as good quality as JWB! really good, never looked back!
Thanks, I've been on their site and they are going to send me some samples. Mine will probably go on the non field and trial though as not working dogs.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >