Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Lol, you should go to Crufts, be lots of Show types there!
I don't like the show types, too big for my eye, not as naturally athletic as the smaller skinnier ones are, I am not a fan of shorter squat ones either but I have been told why the working people like them like that down here. Etta is too lightweight for what they want but her sister fits the bill.

I know three show types very well and I find them 'flashy' to look at---they draw my eye. Which is what they were bred to do I suppose! None of those three is any calmer temperament wise to the working ones. Don't know if they quarter naturally---will check next time I see them.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
yes, waaay to hectic and manic.
like a combination between your wost experience at ASDA, oxford street at xmas, and victoria station at rush hour.
forever to get 10 yards, just so you can see endless streams of tat you dont need, each aisle just repeating the same ten stalls the aisle before!
after 2 hours i lost the will to live

and i got free tickets
I have never paid. It is a good idea to avoid the weekends and Gundog day---if they coincide it is appalling.

One year they stopped people from coming in for a while, you literally couldn't walk anywhere, you were hemmed in completely.

It might make sense to have it over another couple of days.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have never paid. It is a good idea to avoid the weekends and Gundog day---if they coincide it is appalling.

One year they stopped people from coming in for a while, you literally couldn't walk anywhere, you were hemmed in completely.

It might make sense to have it over another couple of days.rune
To expensive !!

Someone told me last yr, that when the contract finishes with the NEC,(think they have another couple of yrs) the "show" will move venue.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Yes, they might well have. From talking to the farmers round here (who's families go back generations) they've told me that the farmers thought nothing of adding in another breed if they thought it would improve on something in which their dogs were lacking (e.g. speed, staminer, size etc).
Yes, dont doubt thats true Hali.

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
You don't have to get into a debate...I expect you see more 'show' type...I see more working types. I do not think the coat is the only difference. ......
I dont watch show Collies, I "see" more pets than anything, many bought from farms.

And when I was in the lakes earlier this year on a herding course I did not see any that looked like greyhound crosses, I did however see lots of smooths and yes - you could see their ribs as well. Just reminded me of my first BC.
Thats a shame, you shouldnt be able to see their ribs, how awful. Maybe you didnt see any, but having visited the lakes regularly for the last 15yrs, I can assure you I have, including one place we stay at.

ISDS BCs tend to have longer legs, or should I say show bred BCs tend to have shorter legs as that would really be the correct way to state it - they are still recognisable as BCs to me, they just don't all look exactly the same.
Perhaps the coat makes you see something that isnt there? thats what judging is all about, what you see may not be what you feel. getting your hands on a dog is a whole new meaning.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
But the standard only covers a small amount of the variation that is natural in the breed
for example
HTML Code:
EYES: Set wide apart, oval shaped, of moderate size, brown in colour except in merles where one or both or part of one or both may be blue. Expression mild, keen, alert and intelligent
It is not common but perfectly natural for a black and white dog to have blue eyes, this in no way effects his ability to work sheep - so why is this excluded from the standard?

It seems to me standards are open to interpritations and fashions, terms like moderate are at best hazy - and it seems over time in breeds terms like 'moderatly wrinkly' mean the dogs become more wrinkly as judges favour the slightly more wrinkled one

I know people belielve breeding to a breed standard keeps a breed pure - but you only have to look at old photographs to see how breeds are changing. Do we really need another breed the 'show collie'?

Heres a leggie smooth collie who wouldnt do well in the ring - although he fits the standard of slightly longer in body than height at the shoulder
Ive mentioned before the US "grow" coat on dogs, that first Collie is a classic example of a US Border Collie.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Maybe you didnt see any, but having visited the lakes regularly for the last 15yrs, I can assure you I have, including one place we stay at.
Does they look like this?

Milo is a farm collie. I saw his dam but not his sire although I was assured it was the 'collie up the road'. Milo just kept growing and growing and has many lurcher-type traits. I am constantly asked what he is crossed with and I just have to assume there is some sighthound in there from somewhere!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 10:49 AM
It happens a lot---the working lines need to be injected occasionally (at least the people who work them think they do and that is good enough for me!). Thats how they developed in the first place.

rune
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Lol, you should go to Crufts, be lots of Show types there!
Erm, I have, hence the thread

So are show lines Vs working lines purely preference or is there more to it than that?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Ive mentioned before the US "grow" coat on dogs, that first Collie is a classic example of a US Border Collie.
Yup the photos are from westminster as it was just what I was able to find quickly, but it is a good example of what I am saying - domed head heavy boned short legs

Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Does they look like this?

Milo is a farm collie. I saw his dam but not his sire although I was assured it was the 'collie up the road'. Milo just kept growing and growing and has many lurcher-type traits. I am constantly asked what he is crossed with and I just have to assume there is some sighthound in there from somewhere!
Milo is lovely (as are the others) he does seem a bit bigger then the rest but except for that looks very similar to one of my friends collies who was from a lowland cattle farm - as a pose to their other collies who are from a hillside sheep farm - they have longer coats and shorter legs because thats what the farmer finds works best

Originally Posted by rune View Post
It happens a lot---the working lines need to be injected occasionally (at least the people who work them think they do and that is good enough for me!). Thats how they developed in the first place.

rune
exactly. Border collie is a pretty new breed really and I dont see anything wrong with the people who work the dogs continuing to evolve them to best suit the job needed
No point in keeping the breed fixed and pure as it is right now - and having a pretty black and white dog that is no use on the farm

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Erm, I have, hence the thread

So are show lines Vs working lines purely preference or is there more to it than that?
I would love to discuss the working springers but unfort I know little about them except that I much prefer them
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup the photos are from westminster as it was just what I was able to find quickly, but it is a good example of what I am saying - domed head heavy boned short legs
It may well not have short legs, the coat is deceptive. It may well not be domed in the head either, it does appear to have low set ears, that would give that impression. Id like to get my hands on it, but I totally agree with you about the way it looks.
Page 54 of 103 « First < 4 44 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 64 > Last »