Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
1) poodles- yes they may get "poofed" up but this on the one day of the show, the dog is a normal dog every single other day of the year.

I didnt say otherwise I was responding to you saying I was stupid saying that dogs were judged on poofyness, if it wasnt the case then why are they being poofed up?

2)removing aussies- so she removed a dog from her breeding lines, if she didnt think it was good enough to breed from then why shold she breed from it? doesnt mean it still wasnt an extremely good pet dog for her.

Yes it is a great dog, again I was responding to you saying that the dogs were only judged on conformation and not poffyness and suchlike
Saying a dog is now only 'pet standard' because if its markings is something that really annoys me, it needlessly narrows the gene pool as we strive for dogs that look like clones of each other

3)shelties- people like that are few and far between, the majority of show people have "normal dogs" i certainly know i do.

Yes - and I was saying i had no issues with that - but can I not say that I dislike that??
even someone on here talking about having to try and get oil out of their dogs paws - why does that matter when you are judging for conformation? Why are breeds shown in cuts that restrict the quality of their day to day lives? and would impeade them doing the job they were bred for?

4)show dogs being pet dogs- yes and this is exactly my point. show dogs are pet dogs, what i meant by "pet" dogs was your average joe bloggs who has a "pet dog" gives it a quick 15 minute walk in the morning, swans off to work, may walk it when they get in, may not... and as for passing on dogs, i would never ever do that, but i know of a couple of people that have, and can understand why, the woman i work for just rehomed a dog, and she certainly loved the dog very very much, and she did what was right by the dog.
there are bad and good dog owners in all areas - I agree with that, but on forums, meeting people irl and seeing on tv I dont like the attitude of many people at the top of the showing world, the people who are winning and will be at crufts
no all of course
but there are some things that are normal enough that people turn a blind eye to - or dont even see as a problem

I dont like these things

I have nothing against someone having a great day out with their pet

I have everything against someone with a shed full of dogs breeding only with an eye to win and whos dogs lives are limited incase something spoils their chances of winning
Who are cast aside when they are of no more use to make room for another potential winner
(yes sometimes people HAVE to rehome a dog for a whole load of reasons - just cos they cant do a hobby should never be a consideration)

I also find it sad that people have to sneak their dogs out of a show to get them to a walk round the lake not just my dogs but I would go stir crazy if I couldnt get out in the green stuff to play with my dog
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Every "hobby" is human based.
I think you will find that was the point I was making....it does not, however, follow that the dogs cannot enjoy it as well.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Flynn loving Crufts!

Hes not going this year now hes retired!
Shame on you, cant you see what a stressed out dog he looks in an overheated Tin shed, panting away through stress,

Whats the saying a picture paints a thousand words...

Poor Flynn he is going to be one unhappy boy missing out on all that attention he would get from everyone who sees his happy smiley face.

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Woody is pedigree because 2.5 years ago I knew no better. Now I do.
Iams being on sale is not as supportive as double promotion via sponsorship at an event as massive and high profile as Crufts.

MMM..so that means you will never have another pedigree dog?

Funny Pidge, as you keep saying Springer's are the only breed for you!!

Hmmmm, selfishly yes because in my opinion the more profile awareness this can get the better, but.....

.....these dogs are working dogs. They are not here to be patted and most of them will find the situation quite daunting I'm sure. It's a massive, hot, busy, bustling, mad, crazy place.

Not sure what you are on tonight Pidge, but you seem to be making arguments for argument sake, because some of your reasons for dislike are falling flat on their face, maybe do a little more research .

There is no prize money, no prizes, the NEC, is not heated, the dogs dont spend 12 hrs a day tied up looking miserable on benches, they can go outside to pee and exersice, the toilet areas are cleaned regularly, dogs dont have to defecate over other dogs waste.

Seems you just want to grumble about something you have a problem with , showing and pedigree dogs,

So whats your next dog going to be then, if not a SS
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
there are bad and good dog owners in all areas - I agree with that, but on forums, meeting people irl and seeing on tv I dont like the attitude of many people at the top of the showing world, the people who are winning and will be at crufts
no all of course
but there are some things that are normal enough that people turn a blind eye to - or dont even see as a problem

I dont like these things

I have everything against someone with a shed full of dogs breeding only with an eye to win and whos dogs lives are limited incase something spoils their chances of winning
Who are cast aside when they are of no more use to make room for another potential winner
(yes sometimes people HAVE to rehome a dog for a whole load of reasons - just cos they cant do a hobby should never be a consideration)
Is there anyone on this forum that does the above?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Is there anyone on this forum that does the above?
I think the thread is about Crufts not this forum
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I think the thread is about Crufts not this forum
You are right, I was just picking up on this comment..

''I agree with that, but on forums, meeting people irl and seeing on tv I dont like the attitude of many people at the top of the showing world, the people who are winning and will be at crufts''..

I was interested to see if she thought there were people on here that she saw in the same light.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I think you will find that was the point I was making....it does not, however, follow that the dogs cannot enjoy it as well.
Yes I agree with you, but some people say that these dogs are "stressed" or "overheated" which is just not true, yet one of these people claims teaching tricks, agility etc.. is great! Ive yet to see a "calm" agility dog!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
no all of course

I dont like these things

I also find it sad that people have to sneak their dogs out of a show to get them to a walk round the lake not just my dogs but I would go stir crazy if I couldnt get out in the green stuff to play with my dog
So what about the dogs that are left at home on a daily basis, by owners who go out to work for up to 8/9 hrs a day.

Is their stir crazy more acceptable to the show/pet dog that goes to a show every so often and spends a few hrs on a bench by a show ring!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:11 PM
LOL to this thread.

cast aside-----hmmmmm.

I love the shopping, enjoy meeting up with people I don't see often, breakfasts are good.

The **** outside not so good, the dogs dragged through the crowds bad, the toileting for the dogs difficult.

The agility, obedience, displays etc fun but having 'done' Crufts for many years I haven't missed it at all for the last two! Maybe I have grown out of it.

rune
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I agree with you, but some people say that these dogs are "stressed" or "overheated" which is just not true, yet one of these people claims teaching tricks, agility etc.. is great! Ive yet to see a "calm" agility dog!
Jazz (and most of his relatives) were calm agility dogs
No lead needed in the queue, no pulling on the lead. A joy to own and work.
I think when you are more involved in something you look at the good rather than the bad, natural tendency.

I have seen stressed dogs at Crufts, but they are not in the majority, I have seen dogs who do not enjoy HtM, horrid to watch and I have seen dogs who are well over the stress levels in agility. Its not the good side, and thankfully not the majority, but it does happen.
Page 14 of 103 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 > Last »