19-01-2006, 02:31 PM

Tuna & Skate Wings

Anyone got and new ideas on how to cook them, not too fattening many thanks
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 02:42 PM
As in Tuna steak?
I marinade mine in soy sauce and honey. Lightly brush with Olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper, then 2 minutes each side in one of those griddle pans.....lovely
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Skate with Black Butter and Capers

Ingredients :
1.2 Kg skate
125g butter
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
100g capers
salt if required (doesn't need it, tasty enough)
3 pinches black pepper
3 tablespoons vinegar

Recipe :
Cook skate gently in fish stock, do not let it boil.
Remove skin and arrange on a serving plate or dish, season
Melt butter, brown slightly and pour over fish.
Heat vinegar gently, then pour over fish.
Sprinkle with capers and parsley.
Serve immediately.

Serves 6

Bon appetit!
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-01-2006, 03:04 PM
1. First catch your skate.
2. After gutting hang it up in front of the wheelhouse for up to 3 weeks.
3. Pan fry for 2 mins each side.
4. Bl**dy awful.

That's the way we used to get it years ago. The cook said that Skate do not urinate but pass their by products through the skin - hence hanging them up to release the urine etc. Don't know if there was any substance in his theory but by God did it stink.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Hi Thordell, Oh and I eat tuna steak twice a week and chargrill it in a griddle(sp) pan - totally love it, could eat it everyday

Ginger - grate a thumbsize piece
Garlic - peel and crush one or two cloves depending
Soya Sauce - a good dose - half a tea cup
Orange juice - half a cup (fresh orange juice with bits)
Honey - a couple of squeezes (2 tablespoons)
We were putting chilli a thumb nail size in but stopped as OH is allergic to it.

(Marinate should be nice and thick, almost like treacle, if you add the OJ and Soy slowly it becomes apparent when to get the mixture nice and thick)

Marinate for half a day to a day in the fridge, to give it a fuller flavour, and heat the griddle with a splash of extra virgin olive oil (we use organic) and chargrill.

We serve it up with new baby potatoes, skin on, crush lightly (not mash) with butter, freshly ground black pepper.

Dress the tuna with a light salsa of chopped avocados, beetroots, pinenuts, and salad beans

mix together a creme fraiche mustard dip which is a teaspoon of mustard, dash of cracked pepper, maldon salt, lemon juice, and a teaspoon of mango chutney mixed together and serve on the side (Ideally all ingredients should be fresh).

We're having it tonight YAY!
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Chop toms, green peppers & garlic, place in bottom of wide deep pan. Sprinkle some cloves & whole black peppercorns over, place the tuna steaks on top, drizzle with olive oil, when sizzling pour over some very dry sherry & when it comes to the boil lower heat to a simmer & cover with tight fitting lid.

Cook till its done...eat & enjoy oh works well with swordfish steaks as well
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks folks any more particularly for the skate would be welcome.
Had the tuna last night and uses a soy, orange and rosemary marinate, (don't like honey) and served it with sliced new potatoes (skin on) tossed in butter and black pepper and a green leaf salad tossed in lemon, lime and olive oil also lots of black pepper. Only cooked the tuna 2 minuets a side and we enjoyed it.

I'm new to fresh fish and am just finding my way, have tried tuna before but over cooked as I was a bit nervous I would not like it although I love it tinned, but realise now it is better still a bit pink. So would welcome any fish dishes to try.