Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by yvonne52 View Post
nature diet
Wet or dry? You could put some of his meals in activity toys to prevent too much boredom? Dry can go into 'stuff-a-ball', wet into his kong, so he has to work for his food, rather than have it in a dish.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Oh the nipping!!brings back memories
Remember it well and didn't last long.
Thing to remember is he doesn't actually know he's hurting you so you have to tell him obviously not in a sentence but by how you react to what is essentially unwanted behaviour
I used a combination of Fluff and Tang's advice,if she nipped I let out a yelp,moved away immediately and ignored.She soon got the message that nipping ended in no attention.Need to do it every time,all family members on board doing the same thing, otherwise he'll get mixed message and just be confused.
The growling... I would have said a firm "NO" to that and move away and ignore.
Worked for Lacey,have never had a problem.
Treasure the puppy moments,goes by in a flash but its the most important time I think to teach them.There has to be boundaries and rules and dogs learn very quickly
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm loving the nipping at the moment, it's only ever when Marco is playing or when he wants to play and I'm busy doing something else. I googled puppy bite inhibition after reading about it on here in order to get him to soft bite (not like he would bite his siblings which is what he's like when he bites us).

I did the 'ouch' cry when he was a little hard and turned away, when I looked at him he'd took himself to his bed with his paw over his eyes and he was softer after that for a while.
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
You will soon be shot down over your 'dominance' thoughts. LOL.

Not by me though.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by cacoll View Post
I'm loving the nipping at the moment, it's only ever when Marco is playing or when he wants to play and I'm busy doing something else. I googled puppy bite inhibition after reading about it on here in order to get him to soft bite (not like he would bite his siblings which is what he's like when he bites us).

I did the 'ouch' cry when he was a little hard and turned away, when I looked at him he'd took himself to his bed with his paw over his eyes and he was softer after that for a while.
Ah, breaks your heart doesn't it? Seriously though Cacoll what seems kinda cute when their puppies isn't always fun when they grow.You can't let him off just cause he's gorgeous!! I know its hard when you get the big sad puppy eyes
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
yes ive tried to be firm,also trying to find a puppy training class in my area, romford
Cross keys at Collier row
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
here's the link
http://www.clickerzoneuk.co.uk/click.../clickability/

It's been years since I've been but the classes are small usually no more than 8 and the sessions are outside.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2013, 02:36 PM
My latest Pug has been the worst dog I've ever had for chewing and she has loads of chew toys, bones and other dogs to distract her. It's not a boredom issue it's the need to chew as they are teething, Phoenix not only managed to chew the corners of a couple of kitchen units, the top of the dishwasher cover panel while the dishwasher was being loaded, the oak coffee table and the corner of the oak sideboard. If caught in the act she gets a sharp "Oi" but to be honest I found the easiest thing to do was rub some Vicks vapour rub on the places she chewed, it put her right off.
As for being nipped again a sharp "Oi" and giving her a bone worked wonders.
yvonne52
New Member!
Female 

02-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Cross keys at Collier row
thank you will give them a call
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by FluffHippo View Post
Hang on, your asking why you need to tell off a puppy?
Seriously?!

As owners of puppies we need to be its mum and show what's right and wrong just like its natural mother did or it won't learn.
What a load of codswollop how can we be a mum to a pup, they are a different species to us, we have problems teaching or children how to be humans, we have no chance teaching a pup how to be a dog. We do need to teach a pup how to behave in our society but not by 'nipping the behaviour in the bud' when it is usually the owner's fault because they are not listening to the pup or want total control for the sake of it, thankfully the people on here don't do that.

A pup is a baby, our own babies don't understand what a telling off means, we have to teach then but expect a pup to know.

to b honest l agree with flufhippo, we are there mothers and all puppys need to be taught right from wrong, or they will be the dominant one,l don't hit him or shout at him just tell him no
I am not a bitch and have no intention of being one, my mother didn't dominate me and I don't know anyone's who did, only control freaks dominate and it has no place in training a dog. I am fed up turning dogs round that dominating methods have been used. We understand the word 'no' in English but what about in Chinese, Russian, Arabic, etc, Just because we understands the word doesn't mean a dog does, we have to teach them. Far too many dogs fail because the owner has to high expectations of them.

when he on my lap he nips,and when he tries to chew my kitchen cupboards
Are you stopping him from getting off? He needs things he can chew, we give our babies something to chew on, we need to with our pups as well. Distract him away from the cupboards with something he can chew on, works a lot better than 'no'.

Originally Posted by FluffHippo View Post
If he nips you make out he's hurt you. For kitchen cupboards use anti chew spray and give him something he is allowed to chew. His growling is him trying to be dominating over you. When he growls at you firmly say no and send him outside.
Would you use chew and spray on something your baby was chewing?

I get so frustrated when people say dogs are trying to take us over by dominating when it has been proved wrong on s many occasions.

Originally Posted by cacoll View Post

Good advice

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
My latest Pug has been the worst dog I've ever had for chewing and she has loads of chew toys, bones and other dogs to distract her. It's not a boredom issue it's the need to chew as they are teething.
Even adult dogs need to chew but nothing like when pups, it is one of the reasons I give mine raw chicken wings or ribs, the help keep their teeth cleaner as well.

With pups it doesn't matter what they have to chew if it is not near them they go for something handier, our cupboards are a favourite.

My dogs are my friends not my servants, I have them for company and for how much they enrich my life, I do need them to be obedient as well so like we have to teach our children how to live in our society we need to teach our dogs. Dogs have the mental capacity of a 2 or 3 year old child, if I won't do something to a child I wont to a dog, if I will do it to a child I will do it to a dog. If I am not sure, I do aore thinking and research.

Every person I have known who uses shock collars are all control freaks so that they can dominate the dog.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >