Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
Sorry, but I think she's got a point. You complain about getting a threatening letter then respond by sending a letter that, while not as bad as the original, is still pretty heavy handed and would be a shock to a neighbour who thought you were getting on ok.

If its true that you're on first name terms I can completely understand why she's upset with you, and I wouldn't be so quick to discount her claims that the dog barks when you're out, after all, you're out aren't you so you can't know 100%.

Most importantly, don't get carried away start playing amateur detective. You've told the police just keep following the correct procedures if something else happens.

I totally agree I think you made a mountain out of a molehill and have only succeeded in drawing attention to yourself.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
What do you do next? I would speak to next door neighbour and just matter of factly apologise for any offence taken and ask her to let you know if your dog is excessively noisy at any time so that you are aware of specific times and you can attempt to rectify. Don't let em see that they are getting to you.

What she said ^^^^
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Sorry, but I think she's got a point. You complain about getting a threatening letter then respond by sending a letter that, while not as bad as the original, is still pretty heavy handed and would be a shock to a neighbour who thought you were getting on ok.
I'm sorry but those two letters are worlds apart! One letter is a threat! Andy's letter says he respects his neighbours, intends to work on his dogs barking and hopes he hasn't upset his neighbours! Give the guy a break! He sent it to 12 neighbours, so it isn't like he singled out that neighbour he suspected. I also think a letter can be less confrontational than a face to face knock on the door!

Also, in cases like this, the police can be pretty much useless!

Andy, I think your letter was great and was extremely reasonable, especially after it was suggested that harm may come to your dog... I don't think I could be that composed if someone threatened my boy like that. I hope everything works out ok for both you, and your dog (who is beautiful btw!).
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I'm sorry but those two letters are worlds apart! One letter is a threat! Andy's letter says he respects his neighbours, intends to work on his dogs barking and hopes he hasn't upset his neighbours! Give the guy a break! He sent it to 12 neighbours, so it isn't like he singled out that neighbour he suspected. I also think a letter can be less confrontational than a face to face knock on the door!

Also, in cases like this, the police can be pretty much useless!

Andy, I think your letter was great and was extremely reasonable, especially after it was suggested that harm may come to your dog... I don't think I could be that composed if someone threatened my boy like that. I hope everything works out ok for both you, and your dog (who is beautiful btw!).
The thing, Andy and us saw the first letter, so we know that the second one is nothing in comparison.

Imagine you had no idea there was anything going on and Andy's letter drops onto your mat with talk of prosecution and fingerprints, from someone clearly very angry (we know its justifiable anger, they don't!)

He sent this to 12 people, 11 of them haven't done anything wrong, I completely understand the impulse to leap to the defence of your dog, but it doesn't really seem to have helped, instead its got his next door neighbour gunning for him.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I

PS: Just to add, it might be worth contacting your local council, Environmental Health, and asking them what they consider is excessive/nuisance barking. You could do this anonymously. Then you will have peace of mind knowing your dog is not breaking the law or causing a nuisance, and if you DO leave your name with the council it could be seen as a responsible action by yourself should things escalate.
Been there done that. I sent letters to them asking if they would monitor my dogs as I was concerned for their saftey because of my neighbours
I asked them what the regulations were and I got nothing
Until my neighbours asked them to monitor

Now I never got the same answer twice from people, because the log of my dogs showed them barking for less than 5 min a day averaged over 9 days - sometimes I was told that was OK other times I was told there was a problem!! - but then I heard nothing again

But I was told
During the day excessive noise is considered as volume 41 decibles or over averaged over 5 min
But I wasnt told how often before that would be an issue because it is quite a low level really and my neighbours hoover is 41 db in my house
(you can get an app for the i phone to get an idea what the levels sound like)

I would totaly advise filming your dog when you are out - getting as much evidence as possible then you know if there is an issue you can work on it and if there isnt then you can prove it

I was very lucky when I was looking after my friends dog my neighbours called the SSPCA to say the dog was howling and very distressed all the time I was out
But the time of the complaint I was actually recording
The fiilm showed the dog squeeking a wee bit, giving a couple of little howls and then going to his bed
The lady from the SSPCA watched the film and said that was just a normal settling down (I was worried because I have filmed my dogs and when I go out they just go to sleep so I wondered if the squeeking and little howls were a bad thing)
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Ummmm, forensically speaking its very difficult to get fingerprints off paper. Fingerprinting is only usually effective on surfaces such as glass, PVC stuff like that. Fingerprints also degrade over time.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:59 PM
The thing, Andy and us saw the first letter, so we know that the second one is nothing in comparison.

Imagine you had no idea there was anything going on and Andy's letter drops onto your mat with talk of prosecution and fingerprints, from someone clearly very angry (we know its justifiable anger, they don't!)

He sent this to 12 people, 11 of them haven't done anything wrong, I completely understand the impulse to leap to the defence of your dog, but it doesn't really seem to have helped, instead its got his next door neighbour gunning for him.
So why did none of the other neighbours react in such a way? Surely, we must assume, that they didn't take any offense or anger towards Andy's letter?... Funny how one person did, and that one person actually admits that she has joked about poisoning Andy's dog She sounds like a smashing person.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
So why did none of the other neighbours react in such a way? Surely, we must assume, that they didn't take any offense or anger towards Andy's letter?... Funny how one person did, and that one person actually admits that she has joked about poisoning Andy's dog She sounds like a smashing person.
im her defence i have joked about poisoning the dogs next door and even my own dogs lol, a joke it a joke
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
im her defence i have joked about poisoning the dogs next door and even my own dogs lol, a joke it a joke
It is one thing making a passing comment but the thing is she actually wrote it down, in a letter to the person who's dogs she was 'joking' about poisoning! To me when it gets to that then it's no joke (and yes I do have a sense of humour!).
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 07:19 AM
When I had a complaint about my dogs I VISITED all my neighbours to have a chat, I am lucky enought to know the names of the majority of my neighbours too, but perhaps that is because I like to develop relationships with people.

If I was sent a letter (especially if it was addressed to "neighbour") I would treat it with the same concern I treat unsolicited mail, file under B.

And I would have thought the writer was a bit of a nutter!

If I had suspicions about a neighbour I would certainly speak to them directly and not via a round robin letter.
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >