Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi markscs,
I have gone back to your original response about dogs going through doors first, and yes, I have always made Tia wait so I go through doors, gates etc., before her. Now she defers to me as a matter of course, this I learnt sometime ago as being one way of showing her that I am the alpha female.
markscs
New Member!
Male 

01-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
How rude

Please don't listen to the 'advice' of this presumtuous little man
Whats rude about staight talking,trying to help them save time and money.Careful you don't choke on your shortbread biscuits.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by tedsui View Post
Hi markscs,
I have gone back to your original response about dogs going through doors first, and yes, I have always made Tia wait so I go through doors, gates etc., before her. Now she defers to me as a matter of course, this I learnt sometime ago as being one way of showing her that I am the alpha female.
Tedsui, although it is good to have control and good manners, there's no need to worry about being alpha female. I used to think like this 20 years ago and indeed it was more common then, but it's an outdated notion now.

You will find your dogs listen to you if you train them, use plenty of rewards, show them what you want and kindly insist on good manners - once you have this there is no need to try to be an alpha

Wys
x
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by markscs View Post
I can't believe all the phaffing around on here,buy this halti, use this,read this.I've posted a response on here which has worked for me.With regards to walking through the door before the dog IT WORKS.Every trainer and handler i've known uses this method,are they all wrong?
How exactly does making the dog wait to go through a door behind you teach heelwork, recall, etc?
markscs
New Member!
Male 

03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
How exactly does making the dog wait to go through a door behind you teach heelwork, recall, etc?
Read the whole of my post mate.recall?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Do you have to be rude in every post? There is seriously no need for it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 10:46 PM
With regards to walking through the door before the dog IT WORKS
well since your posting on a thread about a dog pulling on a lead and think making it sit at a doorway will help....
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6