View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2004, 01:05 PM

tougher laws needed for dogs and other pets (licences, breeding regulations, etc)

After reading a few things on here about animal cruelty i.e. Donkey, Greyhound and lots more animals that are out there that are being treated badly

Do you all think as dog owners, agree for tougher laws on owning a pet?

1) Licenses for all pets (catagories for each pet, and a charge for each individual animal (for instance a dog £100, Cat £75, Parrot £50 and so on).
2) No home breeding at all, would cut down on alot of unwanted pets and strays.
3) All registered breeders getting yearly checks.

What do you think...
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2004, 01:14 PM
When I was growing up, probably in the 70s and 80s you used to have to get a dog license. My parents used to deal with all that so I dont know much about it. The government did away with it (not sure when though)
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-05-2004, 01:19 PM
I think they did away with it when they decided people had to clean the dog poo themselves? (not sure tho).
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2004, 01:24 PM
yes azz think thats right ...it was only pennies as i recall and the money went to local councils to provide poop bins etc....
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

11-05-2004, 01:27 PM
The dog licence was 37 1/2p per dog and it cost the local councils more than that to send out the reminders and postage so they stopped it. I couldn't afford to licence my dogs (I have 6) if the fee was £100 and as usual the good owners would pay and the bad ones wouldn't.
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

11-05-2004, 01:59 PM
good topic kirsty

1.I dont really see how a license would cut out cruelty to be honest, the people who do this sort of thing just wouldnt buy one anyway and..imo..i wouldnt buy one, wat do you get for your license fee???
2.I dont think there is anything wrong with home breeding...imo its responsible breeders its down to, instead of home breeders why not big kennels that make a living out of breeding?
3.I think this would be a very expensive thing to do for whatever organization, who would pay for it???

I do agree all the problems stem from bad ownership but you just have to look at our governments policies??? one bad dog means the whole breed is bad, you just cant tarnish an entire breed on the faults of one or two dogs where the owners were the problem in the first place...

only my opinions
kinzy
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

11-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Bl**dy hell, I'd need a mortgage for all my pets

I don't think you can stop people keeping and breeding pets to be honest - same as you can't stop people having babies. I would resist paying any more to the government than I already do through my taxes - and its not like they would use the money wisely.

personally, I would like to see more education in schools regarding pets. I took Willis in to do a talk once and explained how to approach dogs and body language - the kids LOVED it and so did Willis. Far better to involve pet care, dogs, animal care in the curriculum - seeing as just about everyone will own one at some point in their lives!
Anonymous
Dogsey Junior

11-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Just out of interest, why no home breeders? Surely that would mean all puppies would be produced by puppy farmers/millers and other commercial traders? And we all know how dreadful they can be (both the paople and the pups they produce).
Elleo
Dogsey Junior

11-05-2004, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't ban home breeders because many of them are the responsible breeders. What I think the KC should do is not allow anyone to register puppies unless all relevant health checks for that breed have been carried out, and also place compulsary endorsements on all puppies. But then I don't suppose they 'll do the former because they'd lose out on alot of revenue. If they want to promote responsible dog qwnership they should take a firm stand. It's no good relying on the breed clubs because even some committee members don't hip score their dogs.

That still leaves the problem of x breeds and I don't really know how that could be resolved. But I would start by banning companies like DLR, which would prevent people saying the dogs were registered.
Bon
Almost a Veteran

26-05-2004, 11:03 AM
I think that anyone that is going to have a pet should have to take an I.Q. or common sense test before hand. Example:
I used the puppy whip to make him go back in his crate
This is an actual quote from some goof on one of the boards. Now does anyone know what a puppy whip is........
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >