Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2005, 01:13 PM

American Bulldog x DDB

Hi guys need advice, at the weekend was told about some American Bulldog puppies. At the moment they are two weeks old.

We have just been to view the puppies (which are gorgeous) but after questioning the breeder we find that the mother is an American Bulldog (she is Johnson line) and the father is a DDB (Sumo line), now the breeder says they are still classed as American Bulldogs is this right?

5 of the puppies resemble their father in colour and a wrinkled muzzle.
4 resemble the mother they dont have wrinkled muzzles (2 are black, 1 brindle and one white).
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't have thought so seeing as the mum and dad are different breeds.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 01:30 PM
bull breed X mastiff is classed as BANDOG type,
so i would of said that they are bandog pups
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 01:32 PM
yep bandogs .. perhaps shes trying to keep her profit margin up ? by selling as abds
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Yeah after reading about Bandogs thats what I would class the pups as. Thanx for your advice everyone.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
so are you gonna have one then Roxy?
Richard
New Member!
Male 

09-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Roxy
Hi guys need advice, at the weekend was told about some American Bulldog puppies. At the moment they are two weeks old.

We have just been to view the puppies (which are gorgeous) but after questioning the breeder we find that the mother is an American Bulldog (she is Johnson line) and the father is a DDB (Sumo line), now the breeder says they are still classed as American Bulldogs is this right?

5 of the puppies resemble their father in colour and a wrinkled muzzle.
4 resemble the mother they dont have wrinkled muzzles (2 are black, 1 brindle and one white).

I got to say I don't know any thing about what lines can be crossed and still be called a American Bulldog (I would say you can't cross lines at all, but what the hell do I know).

Also I got to say! If you don't know what makes a bulldog are you realy the right person to have one. They are in the Dangerous Dogs Act for a point, and that is they are killers no way around it they were made to fight and fight. There was one in the paper the other day killed a little kid.

Of the 199 dog-attack fatalities in the USA between 1979 and 1996, dogs identified as pit bulls were responsible for 60 attacks—just under a third. The next most-dangerous group was Rottweilers, responsible for 29 attacks (statistics from the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/epo/mmwr/preview/...00047723.htm)).

According to The Age, pit bull terriers have been responsible for four of the seven dog attacks in which Australians have died between 1991 and 2002. The Endangered Dog Breeds Association of Australia, however, denies these figures, and claims that pit bull terriers have caused no known fatalities, and that only 8 of 750 investigated bitings involved this breed. Most Australian state governments have introduced new legislation specific to pit bulls.
Small bit of History on the pitbull

In Elizabethan England, the sport of bullbaiting was a popular form of entertainment. Trained mastiffs, a type of dog then used to hunt oxen and boar, would be set upon a tethered bull for the amusement of a paying audience. These dogs became known as bulldogs, and were the ancestors of many related modern breeds.

In 1835, bullbaiting was abolished by Parliament as cruel, and the custom died out over the following years. In its place the sport of dog fighting took hold, and it is commonly believed that breeders crossed bulldog and terrier blood to produce a better fighter.

During the mid-1800s, immigration to the United States from Ireland and England brought an influx of these dogs to America, where the strain diverged once again as new traits were selected for by breeders.
You can't change there blood!
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

09-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Richard I do know what makes up a Bulldog, but thanx! Now as to what makes up an AMERICAN Bulldog on that Im a little cloudy because Im learning. As to whether I should question myself as to my suitability to owning an American Bulldog, well lets hope that after 20 years of owning a number of breeds, Im more suitable that a lot of people.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

09-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Lu-1
so are you gonna have one then Roxy?
At the moment Im undecided Luke. I would have to see whether I thought I was suitable or not to own another dog.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I'll be honest if the owners are saying they are still AB's when they are not I would run a mile!
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »