View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Some neighbours of mine have their first dog and have worked really hard at training him properly to the point that, at the weekend, they would still put him in his crate and tiptoe around outside the kitchen to make him think he was still on his own. I think that is going further than most people but he is a lovely, well-balanced, confident dog so their approach has obviously worked!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 05:09 PM
It is not anxiety in a 14 week old puppy...it is normal puppy behaviour.

I'm presuming you live alone (just based on your post) with this pup? if so, you are affectively this dogs whole world, so it is only natural for him to get a bit upset when you suddenly disappear.

When you leave him alone, is he loose or crated? what I have always done with my pups is sit with them (pup in crate, me sitting on outside) until they fall asleep, then very quietly sneak out. There is no point expecting a pup that is wide awake & full of energy to suddenly settle and fall asleep the second when you leave. By waiting until they are calm and settled, you at least have a fighting headstart.
snoopy1239
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
if I leave him alone for hours every time I need to step out of the room

that is the whole point you do NOT leave him for hours, you step outside and literally pop back in BEFORE he barks if poss or as SOON as he is silent, timing is CRUCIAL.

You mention that you work from home this is one of the drawbacks of being home at all times with dogs, because there is no NEED to leave the dog, nobody bothers, and then before you know it, Voila a dog that has never been trained to be alone.

It is the same sort of issue for people who have acres of land and do not NEED to take dogs elsewhere for walks, you then get a dog that is not comfortable in certain situations.

I know it seems like a HUGE problem at the moment, and maybe it might be more helpful if you get someone in to help you who knows what they are doing to show you the techniques rather than reading about them?

Where do you live perhaps we could recommend someone in your area?

You won't need them for weeks just maybe once or twice.
Hi. Thanks again for the response. I don't usually work for home, I'm just working for home at the moment to supervise him whilst he's so young. I thought this was the best thing to do in order to get him house-trained efficiently.

The problem is that he starts barking as soon as I'm out of sight, and goes without break for quite a while. One question I do have is that if there is a slight pause in the barking, and I dash in to let him out and say well done for being quiet, will he not still think that all the previous barking is what brought me back? How long do you think that pause needs to be for him to realise that it is his silence that I'm rewarding.

We do attend puppy classes, and I'm sure he is progressing well in many categories; I'm just concerned about this particular issue as I'm worried that if I don't try and rectify it now, it could escalate. I live in London, UK, and am definitely considering a behaviourist to help us along, although I also understand that he's still a puppy.
snoopy1239
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
It is not anxiety in a 14 week old puppy...it is normal puppy behaviour.

I'm presuming you live alone (just based on your post) with this pup? if so, you are affectively this dogs whole world, so it is only natural for him to get a bit upset when you suddenly disappear.

When you leave him alone, is he loose or crated? what I have always done with my pups is sit with them (pup in crate, me sitting on outside) until they fall asleep, then very quietly sneak out. There is no point expecting a pup that is wide awake & full of energy to suddenly settle and fall asleep the second when you leave. By waiting until they are calm and settled, you at least have a fighting headstart.
Hi, no, I live with my girlfriend, but she had to go away for a week on work. We crate him at the back of our kitchen. He's quite happy sitting there whilst we're in the room, and he's even got better at being in there with the door closed whilst we clean up any accidents, but as soon as we leave the room, whether he's relaxed, tired, had lots of exercise, etc, he throws a wobbly. I can get him to sleep by placing him on his back between my legs, but I'm not sure I'd be able to pull it off in the cage with a dart tranquilizer.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by snoopy1239 View Post
Hi, no, I live with my girlfriend, but she had to go away for a week on work. We crate him at the back of our kitchen. He's quite happy sitting there whilst we're in the room, and he's even got better at being in there with the door closed whilst we clean up any accidents, but as soon as we leave the room, whether he's relaxed, tired, had lots of exercise, etc, he throws a wobbly. I can get him to sleep by placing him on his back between my legs, but I'm not sure I'd be able to pull it off in the cage with a dart tranquilizer.
Yes you can. One of mine was a right turd when it came to sleeping (she never slept & barked for England) and this was the ONLY way I could leave her, even if it ment sitting there for half an hour.

Obviously the pup needs to be tired first. Literally just sit on the floor next to the crate but don't talk/touch until pup falls asleep.
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2010, 08:52 PM
It does get better

Ruby was a right whinger when she was very young, everytime i left the room, whether it be to nip to the toilet or put my son to bed she would whinge, cry and scrabble at the door.

It went on for what felt like forever and tbh i just got used to the fact that she would winge when i left the room but she eventually realised it wasent a big thing and that i would be back. Shes now 16 months and she barely bats an eyelid when i leave the room.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 10:49 AM
One question I do have is that if there is a slight pause in the barking, and I dash in to let him out and say well done for being quiet, will he not still think that all the previous barking is what brought me back? How long do you think that pause needs to be for him to realise that it is his silence that I'm rewarding.

No, because dogs live in the moment and they learn by cause and effect.

When the dog learns that barking = absence and quiet = presence the barking will reduce.

The pause may be a nano second that is why you need to be ready on tip toe just behind the door to jump in!
snoopy1239
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
One question I do have is that if there is a slight pause in the barking, and I dash in to let him out and say well done for being quiet, will he not still think that all the previous barking is what brought me back? How long do you think that pause needs to be for him to realise that it is his silence that I'm rewarding.

No, because dogs live in the moment and they learn by cause and effect.

When the dog learns that barking = absence and quiet = presence the barking will reduce.

The pause may be a nano second that is why you need to be ready on tip toe just behind the door to jump in!
OK, many thanks again. So, for example, a delivery just arrived at the door and the dog started barking as soon as the doorbell range. I popped him in his crate and went to sign for the package. What I should do now is wait outside the door, and as soon as there's even a nano-second of a pause in the barking, dash into the room, unlock his crate and praise lavishly? Is that the right idea? If he barks as I'm approaching, should I walk back out?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 11:31 AM
What I should do now is wait outside the door, and as soon as there's even a nano-second of a pause in the barking, dash into the room, unlock his crate and praise lavishly? Is that the right idea? If he barks as I'm approaching, should I walk back out?

There is no need to unlock his crate, your PRESENCE is the reward for silence.

The chances of your dog remaining silent whilst you were doing this appear to be zero so it is pointless.

Noise = absence Silence = presence. There is no NEED for words, body contact.

Do not approach the dog, you are not anywhere near that level yet.

Concentrate on ONE variable.

Just your appearance will be rewarding enough for the dog.

The dog will very quickly learn that the longer he is silent the longer you re there IF you are absolutely consistent.

HTH
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2