View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Myschievous - thanks for your reply. Keena and Kody sound exactly like Loki. The description "meer cat" is so apt, I have never seen a dog so able on two legs! And the paws around the neck for the big sloppy kiss - oh yes, but somehow he seems to be able to do it without actually putting his weight on you, which is dead sweet, but not what passersby want; big muddy paws on their shoulders.
Well keena is good at being quite gentle and keeping her weight off everything when she puts her front feet up, like when she looks over the fence etc, she stands up and gently places her feet on the top of the fence...Kody on the other hand, there is nothing gentle about him, he still thinks he weighs 15lb and has no idea how heavy he is now and is like a bull in a china shop...lol...When they both want to come in from the garden, Keena stands up and gently puts her paws on the door to look in through the window and there is no problem, but when Takoda does it, it sounds like a cannon ball hitting the back of the house...LOL...a delicate boy he isn't!

Kody rolling around with the kids made me laugh - I do that with Loki, you know, wrestle with him.
I know and it's so cute, but something I have to curb now that once he stands over the kiddies you can't see them anymore...LOL

As you and everyone has said, he is young and I will persevere. I have had good results with getting him to sit and giving him treats as people pass by, just not with other dogs yet.
This is the point we are at, I am trying to have him learn as soon as we approach someone else it is good manners to sit and be calm...lol...sometimes it works!! SOMETIMES!!
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 02:15 PM
I have used chains on mine and they worked quite well if it checks them at the right time it just gets their attention back. With Moss i used a gentle leader as he just ignored the flick on the chain. Most 10month olds pull when they want to get to something thats more fun than just walking.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 03:25 PM
You may have seen my other posts and the Canny Collar Saga we're having at the moment...Cassie escaped it. Have just bought a smaller size and will be testing it this weekend so will let you know how we get on with it.
Comes highly recommended.

So glad to hear from the rest of you that 10 months is still young, hopefully she will also grow out of it.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 08:12 PM
with both of my two they behaved so beautiful out on walks right up until the reached 41/2 to 5 months old...Up until 4 months old they never want to wander to far as you are there security and they come back all the time when called 'just to make sure you don't loose them'...Then they hit 4 1/2 to 5 months and think they are all big and that is when the training becomes alot harder, then I have found 7 - 10 months the worst of all!! Takoda is 9 months so he is right slap bang in the middle of it! Keena is about 15 months old now I think (will have to look to double check) and only just now is she starting to calm down slightly although she has a way to go STILL! She was really horrible out on walks a few months ago...LOL...but she is getting better and training is still underway

We were driving home from our run in the forest tonight and the kids were hanging about playing near when we drove by to go to our house and they could see Kody man in the car and were all calling 'Kody'...'Takoda'...They do it every time! It is little wonder why he gets so excited at seeing them out on walks because they are his fan club...lol...They like Keena alot to but because she isn't so extatic to see them it's all attention on Kody who could practicaly pee himself he gets so happy, bless the big lump!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-07-2005, 10:52 PM
been there done that!
ppl say a dog can't be too friendly but they can and its hard work!
tob was like loki and hol still is and its bloody hard work when you have a big dog on the end of a lead as im sure you know.
we tried all the things you have then i got tob a dogmatic head lead as the more i stopped him the more he wanted to go so it became a battle.
i got him a head collar as it takes away the power of the dog and then i allowed him to say hello if he walked upto the ppl or dog in a reasonable manner.
if he went bull at a gate i turned him away or made him sit for them to come to us.
he hated it but he did learn to approach a dog in a sensable way or not at all.
i'm doing it with hol now but as they get older and mature they do calm down honest he will still say hello but without scaring them to death.
he looks for the ok to go to them as he knows if i don't want him to go i will turn him away and hes on a normal collar, part of the reason i did this is because if you meet a dog you know isn't nice it helps you to move them on or away.
it also got into his head that he doesn't go to every one or thing he see's unless i allow him.
its hard work but paid of in the end just keep going you will get there before i do with hol.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't worry too much he's still young. Woody's a 10 year old Lab who still insists on trying to drag me half way to the nearest dog he's never met before! Just thank your Lucky Stars (geddit??!) that's he's sociable, just imagine if he wasn't!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks guys - lots of advice and, importantly, reassurance.
Phew.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 12:03 AM
I love that mine are as sociable as they are but I do agree with Leo, although it is great they are so friendly it makes it very hard work when they are big!...

I wouldn't change their character for the world but I can't tell you the amount of nights I have gone to sleep thinking, right! how can I do this differently next time...so that perhaps, he doesn't get to put his paws on the neighbour lady's shoulders and look her in the eye and scare her half to death even if it is only to give her a special Kody kiss! as we are both coming out of our front door...LOL...

I am doing things by the book now with every walk...My walks begin with them having to behave and not be nutters before I even let them out the front door...they can get extreamly silly when they know they are going for a walk, it usually starts as soon as they see the leads and then they start playing and rolling around and getting all excited but I make sure they are calm or we wont go out...I make sure I walk out first and they wait then I tell them it is ok to come, so that they don't start the walk by pushing past me in the door way which would just set the tone for the rest of the walk.

I do lots of things like this to gain order with them on there walks etc so I know I will get there in the end...It does all make me feel a bit horrible and I don't wanna be a party pooper but I know I have to be in 100% control of them on walks, so I am just going by the nothing in life is free routine and if they wanna go out they have to act right, if they want to carry on walking they have to walk nicely...If we go out in the car, once we get to the forest and the door is opened they have to sit and wait and then be told when they can 'go' then once they have gotten out the car they run a little way and then I call them back quite soon, have them sit and wait until I tell them they can leave again...Just to make sure we all know where we stand, if they don't come back then I wont walk any further...etc

I do so many things that should have them as good as gold...lol...I also get to just play sometimes in amongst all the training *sigh*...lol

I just know if they were say a Labrador or similar breed that I would have two of the most well trained dogs by now, but they have that Northern breed blood that makes them that bit more hard to train! They are clowns and mischievous and they like a giggle so it can sometimes be 10 times harder getting the message across that 'yes you really do have to do this' 'and no there isn't an option'!

Kids!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3