Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2007, 02:11 PM

Jealousy?

As some of you know, I own 2 dogs; a Shih-tzu(Buster), and a St.Bernard x Boxer(Rocky). They are excellent dogs, but Rocky seems to have a problem with what I think is jealousy.
I, nor anyone else can touch or play with Buster without Rocky coming over to get attention. Most of the time if Buster is on the couch Rocky will sit on him, or if on the floor Rocky will kick him quite hard so that Buster cannot have the attention and he will go curl up and go to sleep.
It is quite sad to watch as Rocky is overbearing and so Buster does not get as much attention, and I would like that to stop.
I love them equally and would like to be able to play with Buster without having to worry about Rocky coming to intervene, but Rocky makes that very difficult.He doesn't get agressive or growl or anything like that but he will sit on, or kick, or will just jump on me so that Buster can't get to me. Any ideas or suggestions on getting him to stop would be greatly appreciated.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 02:16 PM
You can try that whenever Rocky does that you get up and walk away. Hopefully he'll soon learn that his behaviour wont get rewarded.
Becky
Dreama1205
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Who did u get first? Buster or Rocky?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Amber08071 View Post
As some of you know, I own 2 dogs; a Shih-tzu(Buster), and a St.Bernard x Boxer(Rocky). They are excellent dogs, but Rocky seems to have a problem with what I think is jealousy.
I, nor anyone else can touch or play with Buster without Rocky coming over to get attention. Most of the time if Buster is on the couch Rocky will sit on him, or if on the floor Rocky will kick him quite hard so that Buster cannot have the attention and he will go curl up and go to sleep.
It is quite sad to watch as Rocky is overbearing and so Buster does not get as much attention, and I would like that to stop.
I love them equally and would like to be able to play with Buster without having to worry about Rocky coming to intervene, but Rocky makes that very difficult.He doesn't get agressive or growl or anything like that but he will sit on, or kick, or will just jump on me so that Buster can't get to me. Any ideas or suggestions on getting him to stop would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Amber it is normal for both dogs to want your attention at the same time, because one is bigger than the other he may seem overpowering.
You don't mention any aggression between the two , I think a little ongoing training might help.
To begin with I would stop both dogs getting on the couch, if they get up put them on the floor and praise them when they are on the floor.
Before giving attention to either dog teach them both to sit and stay then speak to Buster first.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Further to what Mini says I would also once sitting teach them to wait for your attention, and once they are sitting waiting nicely that's when you stroke. I make a habit of only stroking and talking to them when bums are on floors and they wait nicely for attention. That way they can all get some of your attention rather than the pushiest or the biggest.
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dreama1205 View Post
Who did u get first? Buster or Rocky?
I had Buster first. We had him for about 10 weeks before we got Rocky