View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Hmm, I think there may be a niche in the market for someone to write a book on dog names with meanings for devoted owners to pick from!

My 2 we got from Kerry Blue rescue at almost 2 and 3 years old and we changed their names from Cherry to Bessie and Smudger to Parker.

Parker because I'm a detective story fan and he is called after Chief Inspector Parker from the D.L.Sayers novels. It suits him as he is very nosey! He was nearly called Wimsey or Bunter (from the same books) but I would have felt daft calling that out on the park!

We changed Cherry's name back to Cherry from Bessie because my husband kept calling her horrid nicknames such as "Bessie the monster dog" and "Darth Bessie" and I was tired of it (she was a bit problematic when we first had her as you can tell!).

They picked up their new names really quickly-I think it helped that they sounded similar to their old names. I wouldn't have kept the name "Smudger" as it didn't suit him in my opinion and he doesn't have markings resembling a smudge so unsure why the previous owners called him this!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 12:48 PM
My friends recently rescued a staffordshire from a private a sale after the owner no longer wanted it. an Irish Blue named Zane it does suite him I think but she wanted to change his name and hasnt found anything he will answer to yet 0.o

maybe Ill come up with a book their arnt any out their yet but their are plenty of online search engines ^^
malimoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Zack was named by the kids, they each picked out a name and my OH picked one out of the hat, he did pick out Bernard but he " fixed" the results
Mali came from a Thai baby name website. As Zack was my DS choice DD took it upon herself to name her and I thought a Thai name would be pretty and unusual and we searched through the website and Mali came up. I'd like to say she's delicate like a flower, but she's more like Marley in Marley and Me, ie, very, very norty
malimoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Zack was named by the kids, they each picked out a name and my OH picked one out of the hat, he did pick out Bernard but he " fixed" the results
Mali came from a Thai baby name website. As Zack was my DS choice DD took it upon herself to name her and I thought a Thai name would be pretty and unusual and we searched through the website and Mali came up. I'd like to say she's delicate like a flower, but she's more like Marley in Marley and Me, ie, very, very norty
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 04:29 PM
We like traditional names so we short list a few, see what they may be shortened to then try shouting them - anything that sounds awful we abandon Richard disappeared of the list fairly fast as did Frances
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 11:33 PM
My first dog: we wittled down the names from a list that the kids and I came up with. Ended up with Willow (she's a slim whippet cross) which suited her and the tree is linked metaphysically to the moon; there was a full moon the evening that I first met her.

Second dog, we had a short list and let the Dogsey members vote on which they liked best! He was a JRT and got called Archie.

Third dog, long list of names chosen for him, wide and varied. One of which was Leroy (from Fame). OH joked that he'd end up calling him Elroy since he's dyslexic, so Elroy stuck.

Fourth dog: I always said if I had a dog with two diff coloured eyes I'd call it Bowie after David Bowie (my daughter is a fan of). But this guy is SO not a Bowie, so we've named him Ziggy, after DB's alter ego, Ziggy Stardust.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2011, 11:32 AM
The family dog I grew up with came with her name (I think, was 3 when we got her) and was called Bess, nicknames Bessie, Boo Boo and Bacon tongue!
Current dog is called Cookie, named by my sister the first time they visited him at the rescue. I'm glad she picked cos I had no idea what to call him. Doesn't really make sense but something about he could share her cookies, she was quite young (also about 3). Nicknames Cooks, Cookie Monster, Cookie Biscuit, Cookie Dog (you get the picture) and Bambino or Bambi as he really is my baby, runs like a deer in long grass and is known for eating it!
OH likes rotties and so we have already chosen names for them,
Bitch first - Amber - I look after a little girl called Amber and mentioned her one day, after we had been 'debating' about a name, we both decided we really liked it and thought it would suit a rottie, with the black and tan coat
then once she is mature and well trained a dog - Jaffa - I will end up calling him Jaffa Cake, again the coat will match, but we got it from Stargate, and OH will insist on teaching him the kree command... Which I can live with.
MaloreyAnimal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Mine usually come from things I like, to names I've heard around with others dogs I've come to like, to thinking them up in my own head. Sometimes I use a search engine for names, just to see if anything catches my eye, but not too often.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Generally speaking I already know the name of my new dog before I get it.

Arrow was a name I had been "saving" for 30 years, but I had to wait for a dog with pointy ears! It is the name of the dog in Harry Nillson's album The Point.

Twiggy was a late name but I chose it after her long eyelashes and because she ate my rosemary bush when she came home.

Vera was going to be Wilma but I thought Vera the Weimaraner was hysterically funny!

Smokey was because of his colour.

Ule was because it meant "will" and she was a very strong dog.

Piper came with his name.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I find names a torture!

Rosie - the lady from the rescue suggested her name Katie my mum picked her name before we got her - the breeders daughter was calling Katie "Fiona". Harvey we had a week & was no nearer a name - was getting desperate at that stage & one day "Harvey" just cropped into my head & everyone else liked it - except a friend who very scornfully informed me Harvey was a rabbits name - pooey to her me thought

Have to say tho generally hopeless with names!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >