View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NeilJ
New Member!
Male 

16-04-2014, 03:11 AM

6 month old pup is always searching, can't sleep.

Hi, I have a deaf 6 month old bulldog puppy who is acting very strange. For the last week, he has been running around the house searching for something that isn't there. Usually he will lay down to sleep, and as soon as he does, he wakes up and takes off. He will do this several times an hour. Sometimes he will do it if he is awake, but mostly as soon as he falls asleep.

I took him to the vet and they gave him a check up. They said he seems perfectly normal and just to keep an eye on him. His trainer has suggested it might be vibrations from construction or a new scent. I think he would of gotten used to those by now if it was the case.

I tried giving him more exercise, but even after really long walks, he'll still do it. He doesn't want treats until after his fit ends and he loves food. I have given him a bath incase there was something on him that we didn't know, but none of this has worked. I'm going to book another appointment with vet if this keeps going on.

Other then this, he seems perfectly normal. (Besides not being able to hear, but that's normal for us.) He's not hurting from it. He's just very tired. He used to wake me up at 5:30 in the morning, now I have to wake him at 6:00 am to take him out. So I know he eventually fall asleep after we have gone to bed, but never when we are with him.

Has anyone had anything similar or know what this might be?
Thanks
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 05:14 AM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey, most people are fast asleep in the UK but hopefully in the morning someone will be along with some advice, I am afraid I don't know why your pup would be doing this

Feel free to post pics of your pup, he sounds adorable!!

Good Luck!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 06:03 AM
I'm sorry, but I also have no experience of this and it does sound very strange. All I can think of is,do you give him anything to eat before settling him into his bed? If you feed him early evening, he needs something in his tummy to settle the acid before going to sleep, so maybe, just maybe, his stomach could be irritating him at night when it's time to settle, and so he's going in search of food?

Long shot I know, but a lot of us on here will always give a little handful of something at bedtime for this very reason.

When he does shoot off like that, do you ever offer him a couple of biscuits or something? If not, then please try it and see if it helps.

Apart from that, I can't think of anything that could cause this unusual behaviour, so good luck!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 07:45 AM
that is strange
Just a question,so it can be ruled out
I take it he has water available at all times and it's not a case that he's thirsty and needs a drink?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Our late Benny went deaf as he aged when he became totally deaf he exhibited behaviour similar to this, we realised it was when the trains went along the rail way line, which was quite amazing he was feeling vibrations from over two miles away !

We got him a water bed and topped it with a thick folded up duvet which deadened the vibrations and made it possible for him to sleep soundly.

Wonder if it's something like that ?
NeilJ
New Member!
Male 

17-04-2014, 04:13 AM
Thanks for all the responses. He does have access to water and I do give him treats during the evening when he uses the washroom outside, or to get to go to bed. I will try and calm him down with his water bowl to see if it helps. We do live by train tracks, but it hasn't effected him before. They are building a new track, so maybe the vibrations are upsetting him. I know he does fall asleep in his bed. I will move it to the living room in the evening when he gets tired. Hopefully it will help him.
NeilJ
New Member!
Male 

17-04-2014, 04:17 AM
I can't figure out how to upload a picture of him, but here is a video that our trainer made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCrc9...ature=youtu.be.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by NeilJ View Post
I can't figure out how to upload a picture of him, but here is a video that our trainer made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCrc9...ature=youtu.be.
I couldn't have found a better vid to watch with my morning coffee. Wonderful.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 06:00 AM
Lovely ! We had signs but only stuff we worked out ourselves. We have taught every dog since both signs and speech commands just in case anyone needs them in the future.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 06:15 AM
Wow, you have both taught him so much. He is absolutely adorable

I loved the video and you have all achieved so much .... a huge well done from me.

I think the 'vibrations' theory is probably the most likely but that is purely a guess

Maybe you can teach him a 'settle' command and close the gate to his pen so that he can't wander around at night. Good luck and let us know what happens. Oh and keep the video coming ..... I loved it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >