View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 09:08 PM
i pick my dads yorkies up if needed and always give them a cuddle when i go to his house.

And phoebe thinks she is a small dog and often tries to get on your lap for a cuddle i also have to carry her for a bath -well sort of straddle her and lift the front half and drag the back half behind us all the way to bathroom then try and get her in the bath, no mean feet as shes 58kg

i dont agree with carrying a dog around for the sake of it though
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Shoulda got him some wheels!
I don't think even then he would have fitted in a shopping trolley

Thank goodness it was only to and from the car so I guess he had wheels, to some degree

Airedales, welsh and lakelands still remind me of those pushalong toy dogs on wheels ,
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I think it just depends on the situation:

I hate seeing people pick up their dog when they can be walking safely.
People who dress up their dogs then proceed to carry them to look fashionable.
Dogs which are picked up for being aggressive, then rewarded with a stroke - moving them out of danger is different.

My dog walks everywhere. I will pick her up for a heavy cuddle, or to put her somewhere she can't jump or looks unsafe to jump! Though I'm not sure 13kg is classed as particularly small
If they enjoy to be picked up for a cuddle whats wrong with that?!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Airedales, welsh and lakelands still remind me of those pushalong toy dogs on wheels ,
ME too!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I don't think even then he would have fitted in a shopping trolley

Thank goodness it was only to and from the car so I guess he had wheels, to some degree

Yes!!!! I can see them now
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Yes!!!! I can see them now
You can come round for playtime with me and SB then
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
I've never owned a small dog But sometimes I think I might like to and one reason is because then they can be picked up for a proper cuddle My big dogs are very cuddly, the best spot is at the top of the stairs sat next to them then we're the same height for a cuddle lol but i'd love to be able to pick them up and cuddle them!

ok i sound wierd now....
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I pick up Alfie for... well getting onto vets table is the main one!
Most the others he can do himself (like jump into/out of car).
Some are half an half.. like cuddles, teeth cleaning, brushing etc, sometimes on floor, sometimes I lift him.

Only lifted him once on a walk, when he had been attacked and it was the fastest way to check him over, but I didn't carry him, just checked then put him back down.

If it was a very busy place I probably would lift him.. but that hasn't happened yet.
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2011, 01:19 AM
I have to carry Maggie up and down the stairs....she can make it up occasionally but gives me a heart attack everytime. they're so steep.
I also had to carry her along the harbour front in Padstow after she became terrified of the edge (even when nowhere near it) and would put the breaks on!
Oh. and I'm ashamed to say I have a pic somewhere of her being carried in a large sports bag after she refused to walk to the beach and just lay down in the grass (she made no effort to get out of it when I set it on the floor, lol)
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Mouse is a Papillon only she doesnt know she is small i reckon she thinks she is a collie..do i pick her up? Occassionally.....I groom her on the table and yes she will come for a cuddle but only jumps on my knee when asked, i still do a lot of training with her on the table, I would if necessary pick her up if I thought she was in danger
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >