Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 03:15 PM
if i had a tiny dog yes i would if i ended up in a busy place

I know im gonna get eye rolls here but i also pick up MIa if i have ended up in a tight spot she couldnt deal with, she isnt agressive when being carried - i never want her having meldownd anyway but a meldown in a croud would not be pretty
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Treat all dogs the same ...
This has conjured up a fantastic picture, my friends Jack Russell climbs up & sits on her shoulder, I'm now imagining My GSDs doing the same
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
To be fair, if it is in a crowded area like the high street I would have a nervous breakdown re people treading on it so kinda makes sense to me.
This. Rupe's been stood on a good few times in crowded areas and he's not a small dog. If I had a dog the size of a chihuahua I'd carry it in crowded places too. I don't agree with carrying them everywhere but when it becomes a safety issue, damn right I'd pick them up.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I only pick Poppy up if I need to She hates to be carried however when faced with an unfriendly dog having a go I will pick her up to keep her safe.

I don't mamby pamby her though, she walks 99% of the time She is ok with being picked up when the need arises, she doesn't growl/snap etc she just prefers to be on all four paws
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-08-2011, 04:57 PM
It may actually be a problem to carry a small dog in a situation with other dogs around. I can only speak from an experience I had a couple of months ago:

We have a neighbour who has rescued a daschund with a bit of an attitude. He came round to introduce the dog to our two, and they were getting on fine, until the guy picked up the daschund and tucked her under his arm. At this point my biggest dog, who is subordinate to most dogs, fixated on the little daschund, with the same look he has when he sees a rat or similar....i.e. 'I'm going to kill you'.

So what was going on there? I can only think that by elevating the smaller dog above my dogs' heads it suddenly became threatening, or no longer recognisable as a dog?

Btw no dog was harmed, as I removed my dog from the situation.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
if i had a tiny dog yes i would if i ended up in a busy place

I know im gonna get eye rolls here but i also pick up MIa if i have ended up in a tight spot she couldnt deal with, she isnt agressive when being carried - i never want her having meldownd anyway but a meldown in a croud would not be pretty
I just didn't want you to be disappointed
I really don't blame you I would pick her up too.

Pepsi hates being picked up and will do anything to avoid it but once up she is fine. We avoid it except when it is completely necessary.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
There is a comment I would lurve to make about that...

...but on reconsideration I think it better left unspoken!
What like Murfs wife is fibbing lol
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 05:17 PM
i carry my dogs. i carry them in busy spaces, people dont look at the floor when they walk and i dont want either of mine getting squished.

asbo gets carried somtimes because he is extremely sensitive and nervous. if there is a situation i know he isnt going to like, i pick him up, he is more settled and relaxed in my arms and can view the situation from there.

also they both like snuggly cuddles, and i always pick them up for a squeeze when i get in
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Generally I wouldn't pick up a little dog tbh I don't walk them where it's so busy they would be in danger of being trodden on.
When up the park I leave them on the floor when meeting other dogs, if the other dog tries it on with them, then I intervene and get between them but the little 'un stays on the floor.
Frankie is quite small 9" and quite capable of taking care of himself, the pup is a tiddler but like all pugs assumes the whole world is in love with them, plus she's got her minders.
She's been face to face with some very large dogs this week and takes it all in her stride.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Every dog is an individual!!

Millie isnt little anymore but I still pick her up and cuddle her you just wouldnt be able to resist and she's a cocker spaniel!!

Toy breeds were made to be cuddled!! Though obviously Millie isn't one. I suppose everyone shows how much they love their dog in different ways.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >