Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Yes-that's right. I'm getting worried now that he actually WAS right in saying he was exempt from clearing up after his dog-from what some people say on here. That's not what the police or the dog warden's representative said to me yesterday though.
why worry? if he is exempt then he has no need to worry and he only needed to explain this to you.....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Email which arrived today:

The exemption of been over 65 we are unaware of.

The only exemptions we know of is for disability, I.e. if they are unable to physically pick up the waste.

Thank you for your enquiry
Jamie
Doncaster Council
customer.services@doncaster.gov.uk
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Email which arrived today:

The exemption of been over 65 we are unaware of.

The only exemptions we know of is for disability, I.e. if they are unable to physically pick up the waste.

Thank you for your enquiry
Jamie
Doncaster Council
customer.services@doncaster.gov.uk
but anyone could say this! "oh, I'm reg disabled..."

how do they define this?

If you are exempt I would think that after they have been complained about they would check the dept. work and pensions records to see if this is true? Otherwise I am unsure how they would know if someone could/could not pick up....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 07:57 PM
The question I asked was about pensioners as a poster stated that pensioners were exempt from picking up after their dogs.

Evidently according to the relevant council this is not the case.

I did not concern myself about disabilities.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Oh, that sounds horrible. I hate situations like that!

I had one recently with Robyn (GSDlover4ever) when we were out with the dogs. A guy with a walking stick (funnily enough!) started shouting and swearing at us, coz we weren't walking fast enough down the path he was wanting to walk up. He went crazy, and told us to go gas ourselves, then threatened to hit us with his walking stick and actually took at step forward and lifted his stick like he was going to! Then said I would end up with a bloody face It was pretty scary, and I called the police. I know there wasn't a lot they could do coz I have no idea who this guy is, but I could describe him and his dog so if there is another incident, they could maybe know if it is the same guy.

It isn't nice to be verbally shouted at...
That's horrible and so unnecessary! What a fruitcake.

Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Exempt from clearing it up? Well, that's a new one on me!! What a rude, ignorant bully - bet if you'd been a big bloke he wouldn't have taken the same attitude with you.

People like him make my blood boil. You did right reporting him.
Yes I think you're right. Thanks
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
but anyone could say this! "oh, I'm reg disabled..."

how do they define this?

If you are exempt I would think that after they have been complained about they would check the dept. work and pensions records to see if this is true? Otherwise I am unsure how they would know if someone could/could not pick up....
I think it's strange and ambigous as even thought this bloke was walking with a stick he was striding along and you can get those plastic pooper-scooper shovel things to carry so you don't have to bend down. After all, he had his other arm free as his dog wasn't on a lead!

Also, as I work for the Department for Work and Pensions I think it would be quite difficult, if not impossible, to gain access to sensitive information about someone's illnesses or the reason why they were eligible for sickness benefits, even to a council representitive.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Well didn't he have a bee in his bonnet, what a twit. You did the right thing. He had no right to speak to you in that manner and if you felt intimidated you had every right to speak to the police about him.

We noticed it at Strensall, even though the people there know there are troop manouvers (sp) in the area they still won't pick up. The amount of times we had to go and clean a cadet up after they had found they lay or stood in something was getting silly. So the poor kids had to contend with adders, killer badgers (okay, one killer badger - well our CSM was convinced the badger was after him anyway), and little disgusting landmines all over the joint...and it wasn't the type that went ka-boom.

Gross. Thank goodness most of the adults have anti-bacterial stuff on us all the time.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Also, as I work for the Department for Work and Pensions I think it would be quite difficult, if not impossible, to gain access to sensitive information about someone's illnesses or the reason why they were eligible for sickness benefits, even to a council representitive.
Wouldn't showing the Council their DLA letter stating the mobility component be sufficient?

Sounds like the guy was a prat and probably made it all up, but you never can tell. Even so, his dog should have been on lead or at the very least under close control which it obviously wasn't and neither was the guy's mouth. Verbal abuse is unnecessary and uncalled for. Obviously you hit a nerve
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Wouldn't showing the Council their DLA letter stating the mobility component be sufficient?

Sounds like the guy was a prat and probably made it all up, but you never can tell. Even so, his dog should have been on lead or at the very least under close control which it obviously wasn't and neither was the guy's mouth. Verbal abuse is unnecessary and uncalled for. Obviously you hit a nerve
Yes-I think you're right.

UPDATE-today I spoke to the council again and asked what they had done regarding my complaint. Answer is they had sent a sub-contracter out to collect the poop-even though I had told them I had been back and bagged it as I thought the dog warden may have wanted it for evidence.

I said that the police had been in touch with me about what they were doing re the abuse and I wanted to know what they were doing re the poop issue and could I speak to the dog warden?

They said the dog warden didn't deal with this issue; only stray dogs but they would pass my complaint on to the neighbourhood wardens. Literally five minutes after speaking to them one of the neighbourhood warden team rang me back and I discussed with him what had happened.

He said they couldn't send someone round and the police had already been to see him. I replied I knew that but the Police had told me they couldn't deal with the dog-fouling issue as it was the council's responsibility. I said I didn't expect them to visit but this man should have something sent him in writing so he knows he was incorrect in saying he did not have to clear up after his dog (which they confirmed was not true-he was not exempt). They said they would send out a letter stating this and warning him of the consequences should he continue to let his dog foul and not clear up after it.

Hurrah-result! Shouldn't have to hassle people to get anywhere but sadly you do sometimes.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Good for you for pursuing it, these sort of people shouldnt be allowed to get away with it
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8