Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-04-2005, 02:37 PM

Pinch Collars

Any1 every used them? what are your opinions on them?
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 03:19 PM
pinch collars/choke chains all the same imho

DONT GO NEAR THEM

They can damage your dogs neck, even the majority of dog handlers/trainers do not use these types of collars, and those that do should not be called a handler/trainer in my opinion.

I'm sorry if this post comes across at loud, but there is nothing (for the dog)nice about pinch collar/choke chains
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Agreed Stephanie, i wouldnt touch them with a bargepole, creul imo
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Nasty things - and not a kind way to train an animal at all
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Stephanie
pinch collars/choke chains all the same imho

DONT GO NEAR THEM

They can damage your dogs neck, even the majority of dog handlers/trainers do not use these types of collars, and those that do should not be called a handler/trainer in my opinion.

I'm sorry if this post comes across at loud, but there is nothing (for the dog)nice about pinch collar/choke chains

totally agree! most good trainers will not use them! they are dangerous and unnecessary!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 04:58 PM
I personally haven't used a choker since the early 60's, my dogs have normal round collars & I use a gold choker on a dead link for the show ring only

There is however a lot of misleading info around about pinch collars.
1.They do not have sharpened ends to the "spikes" & these are not the same as some of the collars used that do have pointed spikes(these are used a lot by some gundog trainers in the UK & the USA,these collars are like a normal flat collar with spikes on the inside
2.The spikes are not at 90 degrees to the collar but at an angle of less than 45 degrees
3.They should not be used like a choker & only very gentle pressure needs to be applied

They do have a use to re educate some dogs that have a high prey drive & have not been correctly trained & as a last resort only

I know they are used in Germany for very strong GSDs, but their use on smooth coated breeds is not advised

I have a friend in Germany who does Schutzhund with her dogs & is also a trainer & a judge & it is her that I got the above from. She would only use one if it was all that stood between a dog living or being PTS
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 05:17 PM
There was a recent post about this
will see if I can find it for further reference for you
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-04-2005, 05:27 PM
i wasnt planning on using 1 and prolly never will just wanted 2see what people tought about them the people that are against them seem 2say they are very bad and the people that use them seem to think they just look cruel and dont hurt the dog 2much hmmm. ive never seen 1before just heard about them
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 05:39 PM
I have never used one and have no intention of doing so, but I know a few people in the working dog world who swear by them as an alternative to choke and half-choke collars - I tried one around my own wrist recently, to see exactly what it was all about, and it just doesn't work they way people seem to assume - it didn't hurt at all. There are also statistics online that imply pinch/prong collars do far, far less damage in the correct hands than a choke collar. I can find the links if anyone's interested and I can get authorisation from eRaze.

I do think, like anything else, they can be horrifically abused.

Edited to say: by working dog world, I should have clarified by saying Schutzhund, Mondio etc etc.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Heres a recent thread on this

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/sho...t=pinch+collar
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >