Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I would agree with this. All our best workers (sheepdogs) are totally obsessed with the job in hand and with herding - but all do have an off switch (so long as they have had sufficient work to tire them)
Agreed as well.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Semantics

the meaning of words is driven by the user often.

Eg all the people who say their dogs are "hyperactive" when actually they are not, just insufficiently exercised and occupied and living in the wrong environment for that particular dog.

My intepretation of obsessed in the ball context is that the dog will never give up looking for it no matter how long it is out there............

Very useful if you have a dog that is trained to search!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Semantics

the meaning of words is driven by the user often.

Eg all the people who say their dogs are "hyperactive" when actually they are not, just insufficiently exercised and occupied and living in the wrong environment for that particular dog.

My intepretation of obsessed in the ball context is that the dog will never give up looking for it no matter how long it is out there............

Very useful if you have a dog that is trained to search!
That's how sniffer dogs are trained. A dog I once worked with was a candidate for that & I was asked to get the dog really into tennis balls in a big way. Not just the running & chasing, but also hiding the ball & getting the dog to search for it. Unfortunately for this dog (collie x), it was a case of "out of sight, out of mind" so he didn't make the grade!!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm with "Smokeybear" on this even my 6mthold papillion pup is so into her ball, show her it and she offers allsorts sits downs, allsorts but like all of mine they "switch off" as soon as i say pocket
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Using a human word for a canine characteristic is usually misleading.
It`s a sloppy way of viewing animal behaviour.
JMO.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
hmm that rules out most of the dictionary then!

I did not know there were any other words THAN human ones?!

Do dogs have their own words then?

What words are SPECIFIC to animal behaviour/canine characteristics and not used for anything else?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Mine are 'ball' focused when we take them to places where 'run' is easy and clear for Patrick to throw.
But I wouldn't call it obsession as when we say ''OK go and play'' this is thier switch off button to walk ahead.

Obsession to me is something that will just not give up, bouncing in front of you, circling you, pawing for the ball.

If your talking of a obsession of light chasing, car lunging, spinning round when people leave or come to the house then thats not healthy....and sometimes unbreakable

alot of stuff I feel is learnt behaviour, I have had this with rescues, stuff that they have been allowed to get away with
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Its alright as long as it causes no ill effects to the dog ie a total fixation to the detriment of all else.

My patterdale was obsessed with his ball but it helped us manage his 'worky-ness'.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I think obsession is a strong word...what we are doing is harnessing a natural drive in a more acceptable form.

My Mali X has a high chase drive. She just wants to run & chase, if something "runs" (another Dog, person on bike,bird flying low etc) She would chase it.

I carry a ball, she sees one of her "triggers" & instead of chasing, she looks to me to throw her ball. I don't throw it everytime...I used to, but I'm reducing the amount so she doesn't become fixated on it.

A lot of people teach an acceptable behaviour & then THAT becomes annoying to them as well...so it has to be reduced & used as a reward.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
hmm that rules out most of the dictionary then!

I did not know there were any other words THAN human ones?!

Do dogs have their own words then?

What words are SPECIFIC to animal behaviour/canine characteristics and not used for anything else?
sweetie why not just put my posts on Ignore (go to my profile, click button at bottom). And save your bile for someone else?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >