View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Daisy will chase the ball not the rabbit. Because she`s learned that ballie is rewarding and hasn`t learned that with rabbits.
tbh I`ve never heard of the expression `ball drive` before. I thought it was about motivation and channeling instincts.
I doubt a dog has a `ball drive` tbh.
I can understand that prey drive is there because that is linked to survival. I don`t really see how a ball provokes a `drive`. Unless it is substitute for prey.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
their would be a difference in your observations, as they are different expressions (different environment, different cirumstances, different criteria, different intensities), of the same prey drive.

sorry if i misunderstand you, but i thought you just said you couldnt get your dogs to hunt live animals, even when you asked them?

of course the dog will stop playing if the owner stops the game, the prey has passed, as would the dog stop hunting the live anmnal if that prey passed.
I could not get some of my dogs - I have (had) more than one ...and they are all very different affording me the opportunity to watch different types and behaviours.

But I do disagree with you - (you ain't gonna change my mind )

Prey drive is different - you say it is a different expression of - if this were the case, IMO, dogs who had prey drive towards balls would demonstrate prey drive towards actual prey when presented with the opportunity, but this is not always the case.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
No i disagree, (sorry) i think it is a mid set.

Mav isnt high drive, yes hes stylish & has power, but alot of that is "put in" by me. Hes fast & committed, but again to a certain extent thats taught, its not "natural" in him, ive had to bring it out

HOw did you do that?

Zola however (not quite so naturally stylish) but all the drive in the world, tons of "want", everything she does is fast & focased & will work all day long.
Do you think she would work sheep?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Daisy will chase the ball not the rabbit. Because she`s learned that ballie is rewarding and hasn`t learned that with rabbits.
tbh I`ve never heard of the expression `ball drive` before. I thought it was about motivation and channeling instincts.
I doubt a dog has a `ball drive` tbh.
I can understand that prey drive is there because that is linked to survival. I don`t really see how a ball provokes a `drive`. Unless it is substitute for prey.
Yep, I agree ~ "ball drive" is something learned & uses the natural prey drive to chase & catch.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
That the ingrained, rehearsed, practised & classically-conditioned learning of toy chasing is higher than the innate prey drive triggered by the sight of a moving rabbit!
Meaning that toy chasing is a learned behaviour - not a prey driven one?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 10:01 AM
That its "into " its toy!!!!!
I like your answer!!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I could not get some of my dogs - I have (had) more than one ...and they are all very different affording me the opportunity to watch different types and behaviours.

But I do disagree with you - (you ain't gonna change my mind )

Prey drive is different - you say it is a different expression of - if this were the case, IMO, dogs who had prey drive towards balls would demonstrate prey drive towards actual prey when presented with the opportunity, but this is not always the case.
I agree with this
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2011, 10:07 AM
I dont do flyball, but know collies, lol, is it poss shes just racing the other dog? if you put collies together (out infield) the majority of their games are chased based arent they?
No nothing to do with racing the other dog she is just as psychotic when training alone
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
That the ingrained, rehearsed, practised & classically-conditioned learning of toy chasing is higher than the innate prey drive triggered by the sight of a moving rabbit!
Which is exactly why you teach some dogs to want their ball/toy more than anything else! It then becomes more important than any livestock or four wheeled 'prey'.

I have taught various rescues to want the toy more than anything elser, I work on the basis that if the toy is in their mouth there isn't room to put another dog in there!

No dog I know has been interested in an inanimate ball----so it has to be an expression of some sort of natural instinct and the obvious one is prey drive. That doesn't mean that every dog that chases a ball has an overwhelming prey drive----it means that they have been taught to chase a ball by utilising whatever vestige of prey drive they happen to posess.

I also think this 'drive' word is becoming as overused and wrongly used as the word 'dominance' is!

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
ball drive is an expression of prey drive
I have to agree with this statement. To me prey drive consists basically of the chase-catch-kill instinct. Chasing toys and balls is all derived from the same instinct IMO.
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »