View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Well the bonding could have gone better.

I think I jinxed it thinking that it would be easy, as the buns have been living next to each other for a week now, and have been let out seperatly but will go and see each other and investigate each other through the bars, so yesterday I decided to try and bond them, and knowing that its best done on netural terrioty I took them into the bathroom and in the bath, there was some fur flying, but after twenty mins they calmed down, after another fifteen minutes I decided that they would be ok to get to know each other loose in the bedroom, and they were fine for half an hour, so I then put them away and decided to stay in there and read so that I could keep a eye on them, two hours later they were still ok, I saw them flopped next to each other, so I decided to leave and get dinner ready (it was gone five by this time) but half way through dinner I heard a fight, and went in their to split it up, and I noticed that Drew had a cut on the side of his neck, about the size of the top of my finger, but there was no blood, and it was in a triangle so Harmony must of just grabbed and pulled, anyway I called the vets to see what they said (at this time it was coming up to seven) and they said that to go in now would cost between two and three hundred, as a conslutaion at that time costs on its own about hundred quid, and any stitches or medication needed would be at a higher price, and that because it wasn't bleeding to keep a eye on it, and go to the local branch in the morning, so I did this, even though I wanted him to be seen then.

Anyway this morning I went along to the vets, and she said that its healthy and pink, and that it will take the same amount to time to heal without stitches then with them, and being a rabbit it would be best to leave him without at first if it gets worse to go back, and as Drew started sneezing yesterday I told her and she listened to his lungs, and although they were clear that morning I had noticed discharge from his nose too, and there was still some there then, so hes now on baytril for both the wound and what the vet said was the start of a respiratory infection, and this morning it cost me the big price of just over £29, which was a bit better then what I was quoted to say the least, and Drew is on medication for 5 days bless him, but like I say, it could of gone better.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 10:13 AM
oh no, thats not good. hope they settle their differences soon and become good friends. good luck.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 10:16 AM
I hope so, I think its a problem that both rabbits want to be the dominate one, but they both can't be, and half way, and at one point Harmony decided that it wasn't Drew she wanted to attack, and went to bite me first time that I've ever been bitten by a English but now their back side by side, and I wont be trying again until Drew is healed at least, I might even take them out in the car
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I hope so, I think its a problem that both rabbits want to be the dominate one, but they both can't be, and half way, and at one point Harmony decided that it wasn't Drew she wanted to attack, and went to bite me first time that I've ever been bitten by a English but now their back side by side, and I wont be trying again until Drew is healed at least, I might even take them out in the car
Poor Drew. And poor you, rabbit bites hurt! Cookie took a chubk out of my finger when we got her!