Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Using a dog that's a carrier?

would you use a dog on a bitch that was a carrier of a genetic problem within your breed? providing the bitch was clear of the problem, so the worse the pups could be would be carriers..

would you breed from the dog that was a carrier?
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:44 PM
In a word - No...........
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Hell no.

Very slightly different but I know an Akita breeder (and not all that 'backstreet breeder' either) who breeds his male who has had cancer
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes,the whole litter can then be tested,those which are carriers can then be spayed or castrated at the appropriate age if they are not been shown.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Hell no.

Very slightly different but I know an Akita breeder (and not all that 'backstreet breeder' either) who breeds his male who has had cancer
oh god! i wasnt thinking something serious as that!

what if the pups were all tested before going to new homes, so that the owners knew before buying the puppy that the dog would be a carrier of that condition?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Yes,the whole litter can then be tested,those which are carriers can then be spayed or castrated at the appropriate age if they are not been shown.
see that was my line of thinking... any that had it would be pet only, and spayed/neutered when old enough.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
see that was my line of thinking... any that had it would be pet only, and spayed/neutered when old enough.
Why discount an excellent example of the breed,just because he/she is a carrier,providing the breeder is responsible and tests the litter before placing pups and sending them with a contract including neutering, and also endorsements on the KC Registration then I don't see an issue.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Hell no.

I don't think a dog can be a carrier for cancers!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I don't think a dog can be a carrier for cancers!
i know, thats why i said it's a bit different, but it is the same as humans, family history with cancer..
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 03:06 PM
In my mind it would depend on several things

A carrier of what? If its a frowned on coat or eye colour then yes not a problem
If you are going to breed then get carrier pups spayed then it seems a little odd to breed from him in the first place - I would look for healther litter mates?

If the gene pool is large enough then I would be questioning if there was a need to use him

So really it depends what he is a carrer of, what breed he is and why HE is the best choice for the bitch and another dog will not do just as well
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »