Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Becky - how many generations can you provide? Can you give us some more info regarding the situation please so we get an idea of what's what..
He has a 1 generation pedigree registered with the German KC and therefore will be the UK KC but I do have his 3 gen pedigree it just wont be on his registration.

How about restrictions of litters per bitch in her lifetime and how spaced out? Follow breed club guidelines?
This will be difficult as each breed club (even those of the same breed) may well have completely different views.
Personally I don't think a bitch should have more than 3 litters in her lifetime.

Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh another thing, I personally think all puppies should be permenantly identified before they leave the breeder, my preferance is the chip but either chip or tattoo would suit me. That way puppies are far more easy to trace as to where they came from.
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post

This will be difficult as each breed club (even those of the same breed) may well have completely different views.
Personally I don't think a bitch should have more than 3 litters in her lifetime.

Becky

This is the problem here, you will get many different opinions and it will vary amongst the breeds too. Some breed clubs don't mention it at all, just relying on the KC's restrictions which don't allow for any breed differences.

And unlicenced breeders are permitted to register two litters from the same bitch in a 12 month period whereas licenced breeders are not It's a bit of a minefield Azz!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 04:44 PM
I would very much like to see something added regarding docking - perhaps a link to the legislation for England, Scotland and Wales and a note from it in view on the Charter itself regarding the sale of falsely claimed to-be-future-working dogs being docked when they were always intended to be sold as pets to get around the law as buyers can be prosecuted as well as the breeders who make false claims on this.

I would like to see it included in the wording that the actual regulations should be printed out for potential buyers as well as the Charter itself in relevant cases of the breeds concerned.

The recent thread about the current court case where the breeder is claiming she did`nt know about the law, [ yeah right...], when she cut her litters tails off herself is proof enough that there should be no questions in anyones mind on this issue whether breeding or buying a previously docked breed or one of the few `allowed` breeds which have strict regulations in place about which are allowed to be docked and the required licensing that goes with it.

Lets make sure no one buying from a Dogsey Breeder Charter member ever falls foul through ignorance of the law through which they would be risking up to a £20,000 fine and possible imprisonment as well as a possible life time ban on keeping dogs, same as the illegally docking breeders people buy from who advertise on the free-ad sites etc.

I think introducing the Charter is a fantastic innovation Azz
If it takes off, who knows, maybe it could be used to influence UK breeding laws which at the moment are so inadequate its pitiful
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-08-2007, 04:45 PM
How about no more than one litter per year per bitch, and no more than 5 litters per year in total?

No bitch to give birth more than say 4/5 times in her life?

Ps.. I'm not a breeder, so these are just suggestions - please say if you feel they are too restrictive and unfair.

Becky, is it a new colour? Where has it derived from? Weren't the parents, parents parents etc registered? What are the thoughts by the KC/breed clubs on this?

Patch - re dog law, perhaps we can add a point about breeders making sure they are fully aware of dog law, and in particular anything specific to their breed. That then covers things like introducing 'wild' wolf blood etc too.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 04:48 PM
We fit the critera too,
Our Breed clubs recommend that the bitch is not bred before her second season and only has 3 litters up to her 7th birthday.
All breeding stock shall hold certificates for the recommended DNA tests for L2/HC and Should be screened for PHPV/PPSC.
Only one litter from a bitch within a 12 month period
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 04:51 PM
It's a newly accepted colour in Germany that can now be registered VDH/FCI. In the UK the colour has always been able to be registered! I don't know the full workings of the German KC, they have to go via The German Poodle Club first to be signed off before being registered with the VDH so I have absolutely no idea why they only registered 1 generation. I have spoken to our KC as they say it needs to be 3 for an import but they said it doesn't matter
Becky

ETA I think 3 should be the maximum number of litters per bitch personally 4/5 is nigh on the KC ruling!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 04:56 PM
How about no more than one litter per year per bitch, and no more than 5 litters per year in total?

No bitch to give birth more than say 4/5 times in her life?
Just going to play devil's advocate here I've sat on committees writing codes of ethics.

If you say no more than one litter per year (to the exact date), if a bitch is mated on her second season after a litter, it's perfectly feasible that she will whelp just before the 12 months is up, so you need to say 11 months really, to be fair.

And the consecutive seasons ... some vets have reommended mating a bitch 1st season after a litter, in certain circumstances.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Then you can put not on consecutive seasons unless under veterinary advice although I do think this will be very few and far between.
Becky
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-08-2007, 05:14 PM
You don't have to play devil's adovcate Pod, I know I am no where near an expert on these things hence why I wanted to discuss it with you guys

11 months is fine by me if it's the general consensus.

I think the second point is covered here: * Make sure both bitch and sire to be used in the breeding be of an age acceptable by the breeds relevant club.

Sal - your point should be covered here: * Give careful consideration to health issues, temperament and soundness and be aware of the specific hereditary and congenital defects affecting their breed.

Becky - what does the KC state for your situation? Also, what is their max recommendation of litters per bitch?
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >