Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bronx-n-Bruno
New Member!
Male 

04-01-2016, 02:56 AM

New pup and resident dog

We have Boxer/Catahoula mix that is 1 year and 4 months old. We recently introduced a new puppy about a months ago he's a rescue so we aren't sure what breed he is we've been told he's a shepherd/mastiff mix maybe. We also think he's about 4 months old.

Anyway, everything so far has been pretty good. The puppy is a landshark as expected. My older dog likes to play rough with other dogs, meaning he likes to wrestle, run around really fast, and jumping around etc..

I would like to know if anyone could suggest possible training solutions for the following behavior I'd like to correct with my boxer:

1. When we let both dogs out in the yard the older dog goes kinda crazy, he starts running around really fast and will basically runs the puppy over or he will run and jump on him. Recently he started making growling noises as he does it, sound scary and he can get loud but i don't believe he is trying to be mean or aggressive maybe just over excited? But I just don't want the pup to be scared or think that this is acceptable behaviour. Right now I been leashing my boxer when we go outside to try and control him, he's good for the most part but still tries to run at the pup.

2. The boxer will sometimes just stare at my pup, almost like he's stalking him. In most cases, after a few seconds he'll run over and jump on the pup. It's really hard to snap him out of what I call a "trance", he usually has a good "Look at me cue" but he doesn't even blink when I call him. I've had to get a spray bottle that helps him snap out of it.

let me know if you guys have any suggestions.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2016, 02:42 PM
I would stop using a spray bottle , if he finds it unpleasant he will associate it with the pup and he might become more aggressive towards him.

I have no experience with Catahoula dogs , I understand they are tracking dogs, so i'm not sure what their "normal" behaviour is but it sound like he is getting over excited. Dog play can get very rough but often it looks worse than it is.
When dogs play they tend to take it turns of jumping on each other or chasing each other . If one dog always does the jumping and chasing then it turns into bullying.

How does your puppy react when he acts like this ?

perhaps you could let them out separately or let the older dog out first to have a run around and then out him on a leash while the pup has a run around until you get more advice from experienced Catahoula owners.

How much exercise does your older dog get on walks etc ?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Both of your dogs sound awesome - I am a big fan of bull breeds

With regards to the boisterous behaviour, this sounds normal, and your dog simply requires guidance from you - to play nicely.

You can try correcting this by your tone of voice, or with "Ah ah ah" indicating that you do not want your dog to behave in this manner, or, you can remove the misbehaving dog from the room so that it associates 'bad behaviour' with being excluded. (Only let him in once he's calmed down and if he misbehaves again remove him again and repeat as required.)

As they are both bull-breeds I would want to curb tis behaviour before they are both adults - something you will want to keep in mind for later too.

I'd love to see photos if you have any to upload
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2016, 03:52 AM
Its pretty normal Boxer behavour, thats how they got their name by jumping up & 'boxing' with their paws. At 16 months he is still very much a pup. Boxers dont mature until 3/4 yrs.

What are they like in the house with each other, are they calm & behaved? The growling is normal too. Just as children shout in play, dogs growl & some bark. In a couple of months time the younger pup will have gained size & weight & there will be a lot of play fighting. Always bear in mind the older pup is just thst, still a pup

As Azz says use your voice tone to control situations. Carrry foodie treats to encourage them to come back to you. Dont wait until theyre doing something you dont like, frequently call them back, ask them to sit & treat