Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluekat
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 01:32 PM

suddenly become an old dog?

Maxie ( our 12 y o mini labdoodle) has had suspect urine test,and is to have blood tests for kidney disease when she's finished ABs for skin infection ( bleeding lumps ).

the vet also confirmed that her eyesight has gone, and we think she's got hearing loss too.

it's all rather a shock as till recently Maxie still seemed so puppy-like and bouncy. She suddenly became an old lady, a bit grouchy, and wants to be left alone to lie down for hours and hours after brief activities.

any tips on caring for older dog alongside adolsescant doggie ?
thanks
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I have 4 old dogs ages 11, 12 , 13 and 15 and a puppy . I think the main thing is to allow the old dogs peace . I don't allow my puppy to annoy them and gradually she is getting the message .
My puppy is on 3 meals per day and I spread the two oldest ones food over 3 meals as well . This has been good as getting them to eat is a bit of a struggle .
On walks I will keep my puppy on the lead if necessary to stop her annoying them . She can always be taken out for a run around later .
I'm finding it is all working out quite well but it can be hard work too which is what I expected
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Have you read this article?

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=13176
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I dont know if your allowed to recommend products on this website, but one of my dogs suddenly got old one day, shes now getting back to how she use to be,bouncy etc, minus the usual stiffness of getting old. Im new so not sure if you can private message etc but i'll let you know if we are allowed!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I think we can recommend things. My old fox hound cross had Metacam for ages, it really made a difference to his quality of life.

Some people are concerned about side effects of Metacam when used long term, but when Lenny started on it he was already 16 so the day to day was more important that the long term. He lived for another 4 years.

It is used for arthritis but i think it increases blood flow to all parts of the body so can help in all areas, i think.

Like the others have said, it is important for your older dog to have time and a place to themselves. Try keeping your younger dog entertained with kongs, puzzles, training etc so you older one can sleep.
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Okay if we are allowed then i REALLY cannot recommend Hilton Herbs Veteran Gold liquid enough! its my eldest dogs crutch! shes 14/15 and still wanting to do agility in our garden,she runs the whole time we are on walks, now and again you can tell her arthritis is bothering her, but not anywhere near as much as i've seen other dogs with it, If you go onto their website and email them telling them your dogs age what breed, what shes got wrong with her,what exercise she does regularly etc they will be very helpful and tell you what products will be best, they really are a lovely company and i'm always getting free stuff! I havnt tried magnet therapy but i've heard lots of good things about it, maybe something to look into.

My other dog is 4, to be truthful he only bothers her if i havn't tired him out enough that day though lol. I agree with the others, just always have somewhere for your old dog to go if they want to get away and have a nap and things about to keep the younger ones entertained! and make sure you tire the younger ones out, then they will also want to sleep!
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Oh also what are you feeding her on?

I forgot to say that i give my dogs coconut oil/butter now and again, that is also brilliant! But expensive!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Just wanted to say that old age is a very natural process and while you can help your dog with the aches and pains, they`re not ill - they`ve just entered a new stage of their life. The senses will diminish but they can still enjoy their potter up the road or snooze in the sunshine. I love the oldies! You might need to help your girl occasionally but she`s still herself so don`t be sad at the changes, enjoy her.
On a more practical note, I find waterproof beds useful for the odd accident (old dogs sleep so soundly) and don`t let her do stairs on her own.
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Maybe it depends on the dog in general, none of my old dogs have ever been 'ill' old dogs, i think diet does have alot to do with it though, just like puppies have different requirements so do older dogs and this helps tremendously.

It is a natural process but i have seen other peoples dogs i know get old very fast through the lifestyle they have.
Bed wetting should surely only be a problem for a prone to that problem anyway? i've never had a dog develop a bladder problem with age, or maybe it depends what breed?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 05:45 PM
If she's not already on food for senior and mature dogs then I would definitely put her on it. It has nutrients that an older dog needs. My welsh collie is 9 (ok not ancient!) but she has a lot of the problems that older dogs have ie she can't see well due to cataracts, she's going deaf and she has bad hips. All these she was born with according to my vet because she was probably inbred on the farm she came from. She's now on Iams Senior and Mature and has glucosamine and chondroitin tabs daily with cod liver oil every other day. She has improved immensely and runs about with the other 3 dogs we have (2 of whom are very fast lurchers!) and she almost keeps up!
I really hope she gets better soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >