Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Dawn, a dog that has been lying down for ages and that is panting is either too hot or stressed.
I cant believe you actually wrote that....
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Pedigree chum scarpered for marketing purposes. They are one and the same company as Royal Canin who still provide sponcership but are not the main ones anymore
Yep, Pedigree are still there larger than life, although they think the "Pet" folk wont know that, thing is many wont! They aimed for the pet people and used Crufts and the BBC program as an excuse, fell apart!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't really have a view one way or the other.

I have been to Crufts a number of times over the years, but would find it too far to go now I am up in Scotland. I enjoyed the day out, loved meeting the working dogs (ie police dogs/guide dogs etc), enjoyed wandering around all the stalls, watching bits of the obedience/agility/flyball, but never went to watch the showing side, as I have never been interested.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
You are not looking hard enough then...There are many ethical, genuine good breeders out there who also show, and whos dogs welfare always comes first..
yes I am sure there are - but everyone has different standards in what they see as a good breeder and if pidge feels she wouldnt be able to get one then that is her choice

I feel the same way too - finding a decent breeder is a minefield, I wouldnt even know where to look because a really decent breeder would have so few litters and always with homes for them to go to - how would I even find them?

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Agility, dancing comps etc.. also REGULARLY run at length, whats the problem? Do you think a dog cant manage it? I mean they can do a day in the field right? What makes you think any dog cant be in a ring for half an hour whatever time of the day it is?
Yes agility shows run at length - the last show I was at I arrived at 8am and left about 2pm - at 8am my dogs had a 30 min walk. then we chilled in my friends camp garden - I did 2 runs (qing for less than 5 mins for each run) then we took all the dogs for a 2 hour walk in the country, back to the caravan for a cheeky wine and lunch, 2 more runs then we packed up and went to the beach
at an agility show Ben does far less agility than at a 1 hour class - and spends lots of time in the woods or in the river playing with his friends

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
To me hes smiling!!!!! Def not stressed!

We get to carpark at around 6.45 & wander down to the halls, let the dogs sniff around abit & strech their legs.

If its World cup, after the event we have to wait, to parade in the main arena before BIS, normally around 8pm i think, so pretty late & by then we all want to go home, but the dogs are still up for it .even though we are all on our knees!

Two years ago we can trouble getting to the arena (outside from hall 5(ob hall) to save the dogs going through the halls_) because of the antis, banging the doors &throwing paint. Really scary
that is horrible, even if I am totaly against something I would do nothing to upset the dogs

You would go, you know you would. Olympia aint that great either! Horrible venue I think.
lol who knows? there is a part of me that would love my scruffy mutt at crufts - but I would have to go first and see what it is like. Ben would not cope being benched all day with lots of other dogs, we need the long runs not only for fun but to warm him up properly
Yeah Im sure olympia isnt that nice for the dogs really, I would just love the excuse to go and watch the horses - prob wouldnt actually take the dogs

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I don't think that anyone is disputing the fact that huge numbers of people and their dogs have a great deal of fun, and gain great satisfaction from showing. Also, until relatively recently, many more people loved to watch Crufts which is what this thread is about.

Crufts should be a shining example to the breeding/showing world, and perhaps it used to be once, but no longer. How can it hold it's head high and say "aspire to be a Champion here" when a Best in Show nearly collapsed after walking around the ring at a painfully slow pace and was subsequently declared by a Vet to be almost unable to breathe? (This due to breeding to produce the "perfect" squashed face). Further back down the line in qualifying classes, this may have been swept under the carpet and few would have known - but the fact is a Judge at the most prestigious show in the world declared this little dog the winner above all others. Further revelations came out following the shock of this win...........some judges had been convicted of cruelty to their own dogs; one made the lame excuse that she just didn't have the time to look after them. Yet Crufts use these judges.

It is a huge shame that they are now reduced to using furniture retailers - Pedigree used to be proud to put the winning dog on their adverts, but you didn't see them for dust after that damaging year.

They will have to work very very hard to regain the respect of a great many people.
Very well said I agree

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Ive said it on here before, but every year my biggest thrill & PRIDE, is walking MY DOG on the walk from the car park to the halls.

After all those years going dogless, to then be taking MY DOG makes me so proud!!!!!

i hope i never lose that feeling!
Again very well said I am so glad you feel that way
Personaly I would be vvv proud if my dogs were winning agility or ob or heelwork or something we had worked hard for together
I wouldnt feel pride winning something based on looks - but that is just me
I guess I could be proud of my dogs being happy and confident and showing themselves off well - but it isnt my thing really

I have nothing against other people enjoying the event as an individual
- If the dogs are happy of course
Its the bigger issue and the longer term things I dont like

From the post above with the dog hardly able to breath
- how could anyone who loves dogs enjoy and have pride in a dog so unhealthy its quality of life is seriously limited?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:45 PM
TBH olympia horse show, could be just as bad.

I've seen riders/trainers smack and get angry their horses "behind the scenes" because it clipped a pole, or didn't canter on que, or was a bit fidgety in the line up. Majority of horses that show at HOYS and Olympia etc are ridden.... more likely that human error/judgement could cost the animal its life (i.e. break a leg over a fence becuase the rider misjudged striding).

God forbid a rider pushing a horse into a 11ft wall!! If the horse didn't want to jump, it bladdy well wouldn't jump believe me! I've done most equestrian displines, if my horse (or anyones else horse I happened to be riding) didn't want to do what I had asked it to do, I would call it a day and find a suitable horse who a) match my critera b) hold its nerve in a competition enviroment (easier said than done!).

I think the same applies to dogs. If the dog wasn't enjoying it, majority of owners would not show their dog(s). Most of the dogs I happen to see at dog shows tend to snooze away their time in their crate/area or being fussed. When it time to go in the ring the dog goes in to "its zone".
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
yes I am sure there are - but everyone has different standards in what they see as a good breeder and if pidge feels she wouldnt be able to get one then that is her choice

I feel the same way too - finding a decent breeder is a minefield, I wouldnt even know where to look because a really decent breeder would have so few litters and always with homes for them to go to - how would I even find them?
Indeed we all have different ideas of what makes a decent breeder, but there are plenty of good ones out there people need not to forget that - while all the bad is being promoted.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I was really cross when I heard about that, very dangerous situation for the dogs to be in, what a shame Crufts caused it.

So it's a long day then. It's not so bad for you though imo because at least they all get a run and charge when competing.

Still not a fan of the bigger picture though.
No Crufts did not cause it PETA caused it and it was a none event, about ten people turned up very well behaved they were, The organisers felt so sorry for them they let them in to use the toilets and get a warm
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I cant believe you actually wrote that....
Why, are you telling me a calm, relaxed dog with a well regulated temperature pants?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

lol who knows? there is a part of me that would love my scruffy mutt at crufts - but I would have to go first and see what it is like. Ben would not cope being benched all day with lots of other dogs, we need the long runs not only for fun but to warm him up properly

?
A girl i know used to be able to sneak her dog out & walk him around the lake
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
No Crufts did not cause it PETA caused it and it was a none event, about ten people turned up very well behaved they were, The organisers felt so sorry for them they let them in to use the toilets and get a warm
How odd to suggest that Peta would have done it if there was no question of ethical breeding at Crufts?!?!?

Crufts started it by letting people run away with aesthetics, not what is healthy for the dog. Crufts caused it.
Page 10 of 103 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 60 > Last »