View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 07:02 PM

Some of the horses/ponies from where I work.

I thought I'd share some shots of the field animals whom I'm lucky enough to spend my days working with. As well as having having dogs and cats we also have sheep, goats, rabbits, alpacas, birds, ponies, horses and pigs. All are rescued and live out their retirement with us.

Anyway here's some of the equine variety

Mac -

Mac with his best friend Fabien. They came in to rescue in 1995 as they could no longer be ridden. Sadly we lost Fabien to colic 2 years ago at which point we took on AJ to be a friend for Mac. Fabien was 22 years old when he died.

AJ, Mac's new pal -

Ricky who is around 30 years old (I think) he came in as a cruelty case with his friend Dolly -

Ricky and Dolly together -

Dolly who sadly passed away last year at the grand old age of 35 ish... She had cushings and we constantly battled with laminitis with her but she was such a sweet girl once she knew you.

Noel the donkey, a lover of ginger nuts! -

Bailey the Shetland pony with dwarfism -

We were told he'd never run and would die young, well he's made it to double figures and with his friend Tango he does get up some speed! -

Poppy was blind in one eye and quite flighty. She lived happily until the sight in her other eye started to go and we had to have her put to sleep -

Dede who is around 30 years old upwards -

Suzie who is in her 20's and suffers from COPD and sweet itch -

Puddy who also suffers with sweet itch -

And last but not least Star -

She's quite a madam and likes to get up to no good. She also has a thing for licking goats...-

tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-04-2013, 07:19 PM
The people who have Taran have a horse that is now blind, amazingly they are still able to hack him out and they say you would never know he couldn't see.
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Thank you so much for sharing these wonderfull photos ,
Hope they all continue to have even longer happy lives ,under your loving care
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
The people who have Taran have a horse that is now blind, amazingly they are still able to hack him out and they say you would never know he couldn't see.
I have heard of horses coping well with blindness, it's extraordinary how they can cope with things. Sadly in Poppy's case she was already so flighty and nervous she was a danger to herself She had lived out for many years and couldn't be stabled. She coped well in the summer but as the longer evenings came in she became more and more stressed. A year earlier she'd run in to a post and ripped her chest open and in the end the risk of her running into the fences were just to high and her quality of life wasn't there. She was pampered to the end, I think she was 30 plus when she went and in much better condition than when she arrived.

Originally Posted by Norma808 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing these wonderfull photos ,
Hope they all continue to have even longer happy lives ,under your loving care
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed them.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Lovely looking bunch!
That first pic of Ricky is great
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Wonderful photos and you are so lucky to work there, every day you must see the benefit of your work, and know that these horses and donkeys are getting a good life, so many are not of course.

By the way why does Puddy have that mask over his head
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Lovely looking bunch!
That first pic of Ricky is great
Ricky loves to kiss people. If you lean towards him he will press his nose against you If he thinks you've got treats you'll get a kiss whether you asked for it or not!

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Wonderful photos and you are so lucky to work there, every day you must see the benefit of your work, and know that these horses and donkeys are getting a good life, so many are not of course.

By the way why does Puddy have that mask over his head
Thank you, I love my job there's nothing better than seeing what a difference the right care can make.

Puddy is wearing the mask because she suffers from something sweet itch which means she's allergic to the saliva in insect bites. She gets really itchy and rubs herself raw mostly above her tail and on her forehead. She gets bumpy swellings, it's horrible for her. The mask and rug (which we call her cat suit ) minimises the bites and alleviates the itching. It also stops the flies bothering her eyes as well.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Wyrekin - how blessed you are to have a job you love so much. And what a lovely catalogue of photos for my late night viewing pleasure.

Lovely creatures (although horses don't like me) and you are no mean PHOTOGRAPHER either if you took these pics. You've got some great shots there. (I like the goofy one a lot!)
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Lovely photos.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Noel and Bailey!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >