Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tabatha
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2005, 07:40 AM

Bsl - Breed Specific Legislation - A Ban On The Pitbull

The pitbull has been banned from importation into Australia for well over 10 years and now it seems that most states of Australia have passed legislation where it is illegal for councils to accept registration of pet pitbulls and in Queensland, a state of Australia, hundreds of pitbulls have been seized and destroyed, innocent dogs that have committed no wrongdoing - imagine the heartwrenching experience of having to witness your beloved pet taken away from you by council representatives or police and put down.

I don't own a pitbull myself but I am most upset that this law has been brought into the country and that innocent dogs that have never attacked anything in their lives are having to pay the price for a few aggressive individuals - and who is to say that pitbulls are to blame in the 1st place since a few crosses can resemble the pitbull and since importation has been banned for so many years I highly doubt that there are that many purebreds around at this stage.

Where is this leading to? I can only hope that this doesn't lead to other breeds being banned also. Sure some dogs may have a genetic predisposition to being aggressive but on the whole I'd have to say that there is no such thing as a bad dog but a bad owner.

I'd love your opinions on this most upsetting subject.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2005, 07:49 AM
If you feel strongly about this stupid and iniquitous legislation I suggest that you join the EDBA - every voice counts.

BTW - there are plently of pure APBTs in Australia.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 10:20 AM
sadly this has already happened in this country,and i personally have seen the missary and devestation it causes, including a young man committing suicide after his beloved dog was seezed as a pitbull type. also an older lady whos pitbull was shot in front of her in her own home becouse her insurance had expired by two days.[her insurance renewal turned up a week later it mysteriously went to the wrong department],this lady died within a month of this happerning