Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by skjerstad View Post
Feel so sorry for all of you with dogs who hate the fireworks. I'm so glad my two are bomb proof, Molly is from gundog stock and has always been fine (had her out with the gun and all sorts). Nudge just seems to take her lead from Molly and is laying here at my feet fast asleep with the bangers going off outside even now.
Take care folks and good luck with your pets over the next week or so.
x
Not jealous at all:smt019
barneys mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Barney just is barking at them Jazzie gose to sleep I donot think Barney is scared it just he wants evey one to know he is here----Aileen
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Not jealous at all:smt019
I'm sorry, was I too smug I really do wish you all the best.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 08:43 PM
The Dogs trust have said if you have to sedate your Dog the Best Drug is Diazepam it does not stop you Dog being totally scared but it does cause short term memory lose so the Dog does not remember it was Scared How they work that I don't Know (think Ill leave that one to the experts ).
sorry isnt that a sleeping pill thing ? or am i wrong
one of my little girls gets really scared we have been trying up the tv or radio even tried ear muffs once
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 09:18 PM
We are still having quite a few going off round here at the moment, but the Valerian seems to be keeping Shady quite calm, possibly helped by the fact she done an afternoons agility as well.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by lizdll View Post
sorry isnt that a sleeping pill thing ? or am i wrong
one of my little girls gets really scared we have been trying up the tv or radio even tried ear muffs once
Found this

Diazepam is a type of medicine called a benzodiazepine. Benzodiazepines are used for their sedative and anxiety-relieving effects.

Diazepam works by acting on receptors in the brain called GABA receptors. This causes the release of a neurotransmitter called GABA in the brain.

GABA is a neurotransmitter that acts as a natural 'nerve-calming' agent. It helps keep the nerve activity in the brain in balance, and is involved in inducing sleepiness, reducing anxiety and relaxing muscles.

As diazepam increases the activity of GABA in the brain, it increases its calming effect and results in sleepiness, a decrease in anxiety and relaxation of muscles.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 09:46 PM
we tried diazepam 2 years ago...it made my 2 worse...it was like they knew they felt weird because of it and it made them even more scared...never again I vowed!!!!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Sadly I don't think any thing works that well you just have to keep trying and Hope something helps them learn to cope with it

A totally Firework Ban is the only answer(if only )

I HATE FIREWORKS
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 10:00 PM
The Dogs trust have said if you have to sedate your Dog the Best Drug is Diazepam it does not stop you Dog being totally scared but it does cause short term memory lose so the Dog does not remember it was Scared How they work that I don't Know (think Ill leave that one to the experts ).
The vet prescribed Diazepam for my GSD who got freaked out in my old house when the wind rattled the windows and doors - and it really did work. Within half an hour she was calm and relaxed without being doped up. My vet said he used it for his golden on bonfire night.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Wonder if we had a duff batch then cos my 2 were both a million times worse on it than off it (and they are BAD off it).....
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >