Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2006, 03:39 PM

Getting a puppy to obey the command 'wait'

At the moment, when I want Bear to wait for me to let her go through the door, let her go out of her crate etc, I always block her path with my hand, say "wait", then when she's stopped trying to go before I give the OK, I say "ok" then let her proceed, and then treat and praise her. Is this the right way of doing this?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Mike the word and the handsignal you use doesn't really matter, you can say tomatoes and put your thumb down as long as you always use the same word/tone of voice/handsignal for each specific task and not for any other. Then when the dog understands and does what you require it to do, praise immediately
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2006, 04:09 PM
well its the way ive done it with my two and its worked so i guess yes everyone has different ways of doing it but if you and your dog are both happy then continue and well done for achieving this so far
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Right, thanks. Should I just say wait once, or keep on saying every time she tries to proceed with out my consent?
Meg
Supervisor

13-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Right, thanks. Should I just say wait once, or keep on saying every time she tries to proceed with out my consent?
If a command is not obeyed don't keep repeating it, that is nagging and the dog will ignore you ..
you should give a command only once ..
if your hand is up and you are blocking the way the dog can't proceed anyway ...have you seen this ...
Also does Bear know her name ?
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/bas...-do_14526.html
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks Mini. As for Bear knowing her name, I'm not sure. I try to say her name, and if she looks at me I reward and treat her, but a lot of the time, she doesn't bother looking at me at all.
Meg
Supervisor

13-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Thanks Mini. As for Bear knowing her name, I'm not sure. I try to say her name, and if she looks at me I reward and treat her, but a lot of the time, she doesn't bother looking at me at all.
Ok... kneel or sit on the floor so you are more on Bears level,
..have high value treats in your hand, (bit of meat/cheese)
..look away, now look at Bear and say her name holding a treat in front of your nose,
.. when she looks you in the eye (she will be watching the treat) give her the treat/good girl!
..Turn away and repeat ..

Soon she will know the word Bear means 'look at me now' and 'this word means good things happen' Eventually she will always look at you and come to you when you say the word Bear ..that is knowing her name