View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 09:16 PM
My dog trainers dog got bitten by an adder on the Isle of Wight, literally ten mins before they were due to board the ferry home apparently it swelled up really bad and they had to miss their ferry and rush him to a vet. He was fine though.

Cain nearly got bitten. I swear he is the only dog in the world who can live in the middle of London and almost get bitten by an adder there's a Heath around here which I've since found out is one of only 4 sites in London to have adders (the council keep the presence quiet to protect them from the public). He was in the path and sniffed something, I heard a noise and managed to pull him away before anything happened. But the blinking snake was sitting right in the end of a path sunbathing! I now avoid the area on sunny days, especially in the afternoon.

If a dog gets bitten, what dose of piraton should you give? Cain's about 42kg and attracts trouble, so if anyone gets bitten, it'll be him
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Adders will often sun themselves on paths, so when out and about on walks, keep alert as you may be able to spot them ahead of you

I've spotted several - a tiny baby adder at Hengisbury head, a very large adder in the Lake District (Grizedale forest) and quite a large one in the New Forest at Clay Hill.

Mostly they do try to slide away, but of course dogs will go ahead and like to sniff and that is when they get their faces bitten.

Another good reason for training - I was able to put my dog into a Sit and stop her from investigating - phew!

Wys
x
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by twix View Post
The summer we moved here I discovered snakes (which I later found out to be grass snakes) but I asked at the vets and they don't stock the anti venom.

My friend was bitten by a snake on Horsell Common and her leg became very swollen and went blue/black from top to bottom. She was hospitalised and the doctors had to contact a poisons unit for info, and the upshot was they weren't sure it was an adder, possibly a released snake. It took long time for her to recover. Since then she carries a homeopathic nosode with her and ALWAYS wears stout footwear!

No experience of dogs getting bitten though (thankfully).
i cannot imagine in a million years that homeopathic nosode would have any affect on snake venom in any way whatsoever. I dont even believe homeopathic people would think this
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Several years ago Milly was bitten on the muzzle by a baby adder after having a nose at this wiggly thing on the path. Luckily we saw it as it moved off and knew what it was.

We had to take her to a vet quite a distance away (out of hours vet, of course) and by the time we'd arrived her breathing was extremely laboured and she was in distress. Luckily the vet did have anti-venom but she still had to stay in for a couple of days to fully recover. Horrible, horrible experience for her (and us too).

Whilst in France one year we came across a rather large snake on a mountain path and I went to great lengths to get some lovely close-up shots of it, only later on did I think about how dangerous that was particularly after someone pointed out that it was an adult adder .... In my defence, I was so excited at seeing a wild creature so close up that I forgot to be careful, duh!!!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 10:04 AM
In 21 years I have still not seen an adder! Frogs, Toads, Slow worms, grass snakes... never an adder.

We quite often walk in long grassy areas, and a lot of where we walk is warm and sunny.
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2012, 10:43 AM
My ESS was bitten by a snake and from the reaction she had, we guess it was an adder. She had two fang holes in her neck under her jaw (it took the vet a while to find them). She had become very listless and her neck swelled. I had taken her to the vet thinking she had swallowed a bee!
I cannot remember what the vet gave her, but she spent the night in the vet hospital to monitor her breathing.
She suffered a rather unfortunate side-effect from her experience and developed a phobia of grassy spaces for a number of weeks.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Maybe they are just bored I'll let you know if we have any spare time to come and see you all.

Helen
We are away for a few days at the end of the month, so be sure to give us a shout if you are up, and have time, just in case we aren't here

Saw another adder today
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
A few more scary stories Thanks for sharing them.

Training definitely helps when the dog has spotted the snake and show interest. Thankfully all my lot are taught to "leave" and so when Flame came face to face with one of these slippery customers the other day, I should leave and come and she did - thank goodness!

It is just when the dogs either stand on them or have noticed them before I have.

I am definitely keeping my eyes peeled on walks at the moment.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
a friends dog was bitten on the head by an adder , unfortunately despite treatment from the vet the poor dogs temperment changed for the worse and eventually he had to be pts.
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I posted about adders a couple of years ago so won't repeat.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=123791
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >