Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 06:17 AM

Advice please on banned dog type

Hi all its been a long time since I've been on here. I really need some advice and support. Please do not shoot me down for doing something stupid.
Basically I saw an ad for a dog on a free ad site, saw picture of his face looked like i would say a mastiff type as had the heavy jowls and dribbley shoelace look about him. He was so thin and sad I went to see him and basically took him home. Had him couple of days only seems like real sweetheart. Gets on well with other dogs, he's happy and waggy and is enjoying the garden.
The thing is the more I look at him the more I'm not sure what breed he is. He has a MASSIVE head but its made look even bigger cos he is so thin. He has long body and height wise is a couple of inches smaller than my greyhound.
I am on phone as laptop not working can't put pics up.
We are going to vet thus morning for a health check and book him in to be neutered but I am a little worried about taking him now. Will a vet know straight away if he is a 'type' that should be pts. He def is not a pitbull but I have a feeling he is a mixture of something even tho at first I thought he was a bullmastiff.
Shriley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2013, 07:13 AM
He sounds a little large to be type tbh, more like American Bulldog.mastiff mix IMO, but impossible to tell without a pic.

I doubt the vet will say anything about his breed.

All the best x
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Welcome back, nice to see you again

I don't think what you have done is stupid at all, totally understandable.

You cannot keep him hidden away so I would carry on with his vet visit as planned.

Were you told how old he is? I know what you mean about the massive head on a thin body, Max was like that when he came to us but as he gained a bit of weight he looked more in proportion!

Look forward to seeing his pictures when you can
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi Cass there are so many dogs out there that could be classed as 'PB types', it is such an open interpretation and I would guess vets see many dogs that could be described this way and think nothing of it if the dog is well behaved.

One thing I wouldn't do it is go into the vets looking 'guilty' and apologetic something which could make your dog nervous too. Instead be bright and matter-of-fact.

You have the dog now and as Majuka says you can't spend your life hiding him away.

Good luck at the vets,please post some pictures when you can
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi - good for you taking in this boy. I agree with others that the vet is unlikely to comment on his breed. From what you've described he doesn't sound like a pitbull (although nobody really seems to know what a true pitbull is anyway - it's done by tape measures and certain features), as far as I know, and I might be wrong, it is not illegal to have a pitbull mix - just not a pure pitbull (whatever that is!).

I think it's interesting how we've all become so paranoid about dog breeds, I have a staffie x boxer (although I'm not sure as he's a rescue) but people call him a "pitbull" type and it drives me nuts, basically because I'm so scared that an ignorant community police officer will knock on my door and confiscate him and an even more ignorant court would have him PTS.

I can feel an end to BSL is on the horizon - fingers crossed and the beginning of OSL (owner specific legislation) and I know I would pass and I strongly suspect you would too.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 09:15 AM
TBH he doesn't sound like a dog of"the type"as they are certainly nowhere near as big as a greyhound.

I wouldn't say anything to the vet only that he is a rescue crossbreed & you are proud to have taken him on.

The BSL is a load of b*ll*cks, a KC registered Staffie was deemed to be of "the type"which says it all really.

Welcome back & pix when you have time

xx
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Thank you to each of you for kind advice. Vet just said he was a mastiff cross! Will get some pics soon, reckon you lot will soon be able to tell me! X
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm glad that it all went well at the vets and I look forward to the pictures! What is he called?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Great that everything went well at the vets. Most vets are great and have seen many type dogs at the vet but not one has been reported as I don't believe it is their business anyway.

Train your dog well and make sure you are a very responsible owner and things should be fine.

If you should ever get any hassle or questions then be confident and do not admit anything or sign any paper even if they tell it will be in his interest.
Get on to DDA watch.

Pit crosses are illegal because it is type that is illegal not the breed. I doubt very much that there are any pure bred pitbulls in the UK. Just cross breeds that look like pit bulls. Silly isn't it
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Thank you to each of you for kind advice. Vet just said he was a mastiff cross! Will get some pics soon, reckon you lot will soon be able to tell me! X
Oh great news and a big well done from me too for taking this chappie on. No wondering 'where he will end up' you know where - with you! I don't think anyone would 'shoot you down'. It's a done DEED! No point whatsoever after the event telling people not to do something (it's a different matter if they ask beforehand!)

I look forward to seeing ole 'big head' when you can post piccies!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >