Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2005, 02:07 AM

Showing Newbie

The lady who runs Rocco's puppy play group called me again tonight to say that she thinks Rocco has good show potential (not the the Bermuda circuit is exactly huge).

Of course I think he's fab, but when we bought him, it was solely as a pet and a companion for me while OH is at work at night. It sounds like it could be fun but I realise it's a lot of hard work.

I have no idea where to start really. The ring craft classes start on Sunday and I think we might go along to try it and see how we get along. I'll have to find out some more about the type of show it is - but I think people here take it pretty seriously and this Island is competitive at the best of times!

What are the main things I should be taking into consideration? I'm more worried about me making a mess of it than Rocco - he's more receptive to training than I am!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 07:58 AM
There Are Many Good Dogs In Pet Homes.........give It A Go
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 08:43 AM
First off make sure the breeder of your dog did not place any showing restrictions on your dog in your contract, if it was sold as a pet they may have done this, then if all is well start your ringcraft classes they will train you in how to behave move your dog and present your dog to the judge. then enter a few shows and just ENJOY it, dont expect to win everytime, if you dont win the first couple of time dont be too disheartened, use a nice show collar for your breed and a nice lead only in the ring and ringcraft, then the dog will associate this collar and lead with showtime lol

remember to have fun

mo
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Theres nothing stopping you giving it a go...you don't have to keep at it if you don't want to.If you don't try you'll never know!