Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Kennels and medication.

Hoping someone can help me out here.

Monty is going into kennels for a week on Saturday but has just been prescribed some cream/gel for a lump on his face that he has scratched and made bleed.

Is it likely that the kennels will agree to give him the treatment or not? I'm concerned that if I ring them to ask they'll say they can no longer taken him and then I'll have to find somewhere else for him at short notice.

The lady who runs the kennels is lovely and I dont think it will be an issue but just thought id see if anyone on here had been through a similar thing?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Hoping someone can help me out here.

Monty is going into kennels for a week on Saturday but has just been prescribed some cream/gel for a lump on his face that he has scratched and made bleed.

Is it likely that the kennels will agree to give him the treatment or not? I'm concerned that if I ring them to ask they'll say they can no longer taken him and then I'll have to find somewhere else for him at short notice.

The lady who runs the kennels is lovely and I dont think it will be an issue but just thought id see if anyone on here had been through a similar thing?

Kennels are used to doing this as they have diabetic dogs etc in.

As long as whatever he has is not a risk to other dogs or humans, no probs.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 05:33 PM
So long as he is ok about having it done it shouldn't be a major problem, unless whatever the cream is for is infectious?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2011, 05:50 PM
As smokeybear says, kennels are used to having dogs that need medicating. I know that the Pension where Pereg goes for daycare/emergency care are quite happy to still have her as long as I give them her medication.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Should be absolutely no problem at all. We just ask that the instructions are clear to save any problems.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:12 PM
In all the kennels I have worked at it has never been a problem, as BD says just make sure the instructions for the meds - Where it is to be applied, and how often it is to be applied are clear, as I have found many owners bring there dogs in, drop the food/meds off (sometimes not even told us the dog has meds, even though we have asked and have found the meds in the same bag as their toys!) and then leave with out really clarifying.

I am sure Monty will be well looked after.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks. I will write down full instructions for the kennels then. The only downside is he doesn't like having the cream applied but i've got two days and plenty of liver sausage to work on that!!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 07:49 PM
We use to do this all the time at the kennels I worked at the only thing was what ever the medication was for wudnt be covered on our insurance
ATD x
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't know any kennels which don't give medication/special diets etc. as it will effect the business a lot and something as simple as cream on his face can be put on before/after his walk.
I would call her at least to let her know he has medication.