View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 02:27 PM
It's a big story in this house I can tell you, and it affected us all yesterday and even today (I'm forced to finish the decorating just to keep OH in a good mood) the difference is we aren't allowed to actually mention it..... but it's there

It's an interest/passion to a lot of people, nevermind the money so it does deserve to be top story as it's not just losing to Croatia, it means we're out of Euro 2008.

(and I'm going to show my OH this post, he'll be proud )
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I also suspect the likes of Sky tv will be heavilly affected, because one bloke they interviewed this morning said he wouldn't be watching it now. Presumably they would have earned millions of pounds with more fans watching the World cup on Sky Sports, even if they didn't have it now, they would for next year, IF we had won that is!

I know it's a great passion in this Country, and others come to that, especially when I've been in Spain, but I have never understood why, or why it gets so much coverage on our main tv channels when we have sports channels for that type of thing, as we do for other sporting events! That's why I couldn't understand it being top news story. It wouldn't have been if it was Rally Driving or Golf and they're both big sports.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a fan (I like a good manly game of Rugby where they spit a few teeth out instead of pruning their hair! Lol! Don't mean to get your back up!!!)but I did catch a glimpse of the highlights on the news this morning, and quite honestly, I think I would have done a better job in goal than the bloke they had in there, whoever he is! I was in my netball team at school ya know, so I know how to catch a ball when I have to!!!!

Sorry, you're probably feeling very low today, and that's another thing I can never understand, how come it affects you all like it does too???? I mean anyone would have thought there'd been a death in the family or something the way some people take it!! My husband doesn't get like this if Matt Neill doesn't win the race at Touring Cars, he just takes it like a man and waits for the next race when he might win!!!! It's all very strange to me I'm afraid. He wouldn't come home and not talk to me for a week or cry his eyes out!!!

Something else I've always wanted to know, why do all the managers/coaches etc. have to sit there madly chewing gum??? Is that compulsory then along with the spitting of the players???
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sorry, you're probably feeling very low today, and that's another thing I can never understand, how come it affects you all like it does too???? I mean anyone would have thought there'd been a death in the family or something the way some people take it!!
I don't understand it either! It's only a game. It's not life or death or anything important like that. People still have to go to work, earn food etc.

It's not like the players are out of a job, they'll still earn ridiculous amounts of money for pratting about with a ball and not doing anything serious.

I didn't watch it, but my OH did. He was pretty upset, although did say that he expected them to lose.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2007, 04:05 PM
It will affect sky as many will have bought HD boxes for the bbc hd coverage, but not so much in the subscription area as sky sports dont have the rights.

I agree, in rugby they got to the world final on pride and guts despite not being anywhere near the best in the world, footballers are far to bothered about self image.
Rally or golf would not be given as much coverage as they are tiny compared to football. Its hard to explain why fans feel like they do, but it really does hurt when results like these happen, I remember the big games in the past which we have lost and at the time it does make you feel raw and like your heart has been ripped out.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I don't understand it either! It's only a game. It's not life or death or anything important like that. People still have to go to work, earn food etc.

It's not like the players are out of a job, they'll still earn ridiculous amounts of money for pratting about with a ball and not doing anything serious.

I didn't watch it, but my OH did. He was pretty upset, although did say that he expected them to lose.
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
A quote from Bill shankly, ex liverpool boss, It got it spot on
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
A quote from Bill shankly, ex liverpool boss, It got it spot on
I knew someone would quote that at me!

My OH gets very upset when the team he supports loses (which they do a lot). I have to check the score on Sky so I know whether I can talk to him or not when he gets home....
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I remember the big games in the past which we have lost and at the time it does make you feel raw and like your heart has been ripped out.
..... and I remember 1966!!! Oh what a night that was!!! I don't think it's happened ever since has it???

My first husband was a fan, and we used to watch it avidly every Saturday night with a Chinese Takeaway (I think I enjoyed that bit more than the football quite honestly!!!)Oh the tantrums if Chelsea lost! I'll never forget it, went on for days I'm glad I ditched him for my current husband who follows touring cars and the likes!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 04:28 PM
So let me get this right.........

The NSPCC and other extraordinary charities will carry on as normal with no extra funding, children will still live in poverty in THIS Country, and elderly people will still die as they can't afford adequate heating this Winter, yet the Nation is supposed to mourn not being in Euro 2008 because Sports Retailers will not make as much profit this year, and THIS is worthy of being Prime time News ?

Get a grip !
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
So let me get this right.........

The NSPCC and other extraordinary charities will carry on as normal with no extra funding, children will still live in poverty in THIS Country, and elderly people will still die as they can't afford adequate heating this Winter, yet the Nation is supposed to mourn not being in Euro 2008 because Sports Retailers will not make as much profit this year, and THIS is worthy of being Prime time News ?

Get a grip !
:smt038 :smt038 :smt038
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by bessey112 View Post
I didnt even know what the score was until i read this i really should take more of an interest in things

sarah
You and me both Sarah
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »