View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I saw a GSD at a show hit the deck then bolt forwards. I also saw a couple Collies within a good few months mind, act nervy and panicky, one at an obedience show and the other a local obedience/companion show, not really top class but the dog did it none the less.

I just think personally obedience has gone way too far now.

OOPS!! off track we are, sorry!
Dawn.
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Bloodhounds are one of our vulnerable breeds. Their original working function is becoming/has become obsolete, and they are really only suitable pets for a very particular kind of person (much as I admire them, I would make a useless owner for a bloodhound!) Nowadays, there are just so few of them around, that if weren't for those people who are carefully breeding them for the show-ring, they might have another 10 years before they become totally extinct.
There is at least one pack of bloodhounds here that is used to follow the scent of a runner across country and they are followed by people on horseback. I believe they are not the only ones in the country. None of them are bred for the show ring, there also used to be a pack of basset hounds but I think their quarry was hares?
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Johan I can see many positives,dogs shows are a place where one can go to learn about a breed/ talk to breeders/ view the best examples of a breed/view stud dogs/find out about litters due and have a jolly good day out

Dog showing may not be your sort of thing but then I can't see any 'positives' in teaching dogs to attack people for fun but each to his own..
Well said Minihaha,
I show bull terriers and have shown other breeds as well over 14 years showing and the dogs love it, the socializing with other dogs as well as the shows there selfs. I dont expect everyone be they be people or dogs to like showing its not for eveyone, I take it as a great day out with my dogs and if we do well thats a bonus and if not there is always the next show. All I ask of my puppy owners is to try it to see if they like it
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7