View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 09:20 PM
After all my classes I make sure people have my details Phone and email and an assurance that I will help them no matter how old the dog is or how long ago the contacted me (it gets hard whenI haven;t seen people for 3 years and they say...oh you know...Harveys owner!)

But I am more than happy to sit on the end of the phone or go out and help if need be.

this woman contacted me and said - as she didn;t have any doggy friends would I like to meet up for a walk one day....yep great...even posted pictures of the dogs on here. We had a lovely walk and the dog was fantastic, bouncy but no more than you would expect from a young JRT and very controlable.

She text me and told me a lie to begin with, that her friend fell in love and as he was not getting on with the cat they decided she could have him, not great but understandable.

It has now transipred that the whole time they had him (4 months) he was biting the whole family and completely uncontrollable so they took him to a local rescue and within aweek have ended up with this other dog. .....sorry...am I wrong to be upset?
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
After all my classes I make sure people have my details Phone and email and an assurance that I will help them no matter how old the dog is or how long ago the contacted me (it gets hard whenI haven;t seen people for 3 years and they say...oh you know...Harveys owner!)

But I am more than happy to sit on the end of the phone or go out and help if need be.

this woman contacted me and said - as she didn;t have any doggy friends would I like to meet up for a walk one day....yep great...even posted pictures of the dogs on here. We had a lovely walk and the dog was fantastic, bouncy but no more than you would expect from a young JRT and very controlable.

She text me and told me a lie to begin with, that her friend fell in love and as he was not getting on with the cat they decided she could have him, not great but understandable.

It has now transipred that the whole time they had him (4 months) he was biting the whole family and completely uncontrollable so they took him to a local rescue and within aweek have ended up with this other dog. .....sorry...am I wrong to be upset?
Sorry Tass, didn't know if you were replying to me. My, "I'm guessing she's not the kind of person you converse with? Must be so frustrating watching it happen" bit was to Labradork.

I think you're totally right to be upset, but you did all you could. I suppose some people will lie so they're not accused of being a disposable dog owner, but some know they are and have no qualms with shifting a dog on. Don't know which is worse. Must be so frustrating knowing you've been lied to. I wonder if she never bonded with the dog and was looking for excuses?
SamRottLabb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2009, 09:42 PM
It really makes my blood boil when people do this!
We have a lady at the end of our road and she is on he third pup already this year!
She's had a Border Collie, Terrier cross and is now on a Staffie which she keeps locked in a different part of the garden so that it can't get in and out of the house and is left all day barking!!!

I truely don't know what she wants from her animals or why she keeps swapping!!! Some people!!!

I strongly agree with what has been suggested - I beleive there should be some sort of test for people being able to own animals.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
That's awful. My cousin's like that with her pets. She gets 'into' one thing, gets a whole collection then gets bored, and gets rid. Luckily her mum looks after her dog which she's now bored of, but the rest of the animals: birds, lizards, snakes, rats, hamsters etc. just get moved on. It stinks, as although it seems more 'acceptable' with some kind of pets as they don't seem to form bonds as much or as strongly, or deal better with swapping homes (eg. horses, birds), the attitude of just buying up and getting rid because you're bored or can't be bothered is awful.

I'm guessing she's not the kind of person you converse with? Must be so frustrating watching it happen.
Yup, you guessed right. Never spoke to the woman. I notice because she walks past my house with the dog (or dogs, depending on what breed is flavor of the month ) at the same time every morning; she is a predictable as clockwork. I need to start taking bets on what breed she will walk past with next.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:39 AM
People like that disgust me. Animals aren't your cup of tea, fine! Don't keep getting them then giving them away or letting them die horrible deaths.

My old boss was horrible about this. His 15 year old daughter on a whim wanted a pug puppy. I told him to get her a stuffed dog as she was about as responsible as a turnip. He insisted on getting the puppy. I talked till I was blue in the face about a responsible breeder, but he wanted it FAST and CHEAP, so he went to a back yard breeder in Arkansas. THEN, I talk till I'm blue in the face about vaccinations and neutering and training.....even offer to take the dog to the vet myself and put him through classes myself. Does he do any of it? No! What happens, the dog gets parvo! Purely to appease me I think, he actually treated the dog and he recovered. Only to be hit by a car because he developed the habit of chasing cars out of sheer boredom, and they never bothered to train him out of it or take any precautions to safeguard him getting out of the yard. In the four years I worked for him, they had six dogs, a ferret, several birds, fish, rats, hamsters. The rats died of starvation. They went out of town and left me to care for the animals. The rats had no food in the house, and no water in their cage and one of them was already dead when I got there the first day to take care of it (the other rats were eating it). Turns out the rats had been out of food for almost two weeks!!!
They really made my blood boil. I know if I hadn't been there, he would have let that puppy die of parvo. Grrrrr
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
she sounds like a selfish bitch that just loves the puppy bit, then gets bored when they get bigger, more so as she prob hasnt done any training with them and they become a handful
That's my old next door neighbour you're talking about, Shona!

She went through 9 dogs whilst we lived next door to her. Once puppyhood was gone, dog given to family and friends and in the case of the poor mastiff cross no-one would take, pts.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3