View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2008, 02:54 PM
The problem is these sort of questions should be something that the poster should be asking herself before even considering getting another dog..

Look at it this way, what would happen if say the new one if she got it and the SBT had a nasty fight and she was hit with say a £600 vet bill, is it something she believes she could afford?

Also as I know through experience walking 3 dogs in one go is hard enough, but 4 is something else altogether. She only needs them to se something like a fox or a cat and away they go. Is she going to be able to hold them all?

You see all these questions have to be asked, because a dog is for life.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-06-2008, 03:13 PM
i agree with your experienced advice on the age of her current puppy - thats experience talking - and you are making a valid point - but there may be 10 people in that house all walking the dogs - and for all we know they are a multi-millionaire family who live for their animals and the financial position shouldnt come into it - the thread starter offered a home to a dog - not a request for financial advice from a complete stranger.

oh and thanks for the 'all these questions have to be asked as I dog is for life' - thats cleared it up for all us stupid little people.

Heres some advice Colin, I see you posted 2000 posts in a year - my advice would be turn the pc off for a an evening if you bring yourself to - walk down your local and patronise someone you dont know to their face for a change.

Jesus what is it with some people on this forum who talk down to people who just joined.

Theres some alright people on here and theres some people who love the sound of their own voices.

'A dogs for life'..... condascending prat
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Have you tried the dog rescue pages. They list a lot of the rescues split into North and South. They also have a section of dogs who need rehoming from private homes.Good luck with your search.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-06-2008, 03:34 PM
My lot are walked off lead more than on their leads.

When I take them along the beach first thing in the morning and last thing at night I don't even bother taking their leads with me. The same goes for when I take them over the South Downs.

The only time they go on a lead is if I walk them around town.

Recall is not the only command you need your dogs to know. You also need for them to have a good 'Down' command, so regardless of what the circumstances are the moment you shout 'Down' they belly is on the deck.

then

Also as I know through experience walking 3 dogs in one go is hard enough, but 4 is something else altogether. She only needs them to se something like a fox or a cat and away they go. Is she going to be able to hold them all?

maybe they have a great 'down' command with their other three dogs - like yours you go out leadless with despite the possibility of fox or cat crossing their paths

not good advice to anyone Colin, should always have a lead with you
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Well let me just enlighten you before you go calling me a condescending prat. Learn how to spell before you use big words. It is spelt condescending and not as you put it, condascending.

Now if you actually took the time to think about your reply then you would of realised that alot of people get additional dogs and end up with a pack, but then realise that things just don't work out with them and then have to put them back into rescue kennels, so that dog wasn't for life was it? Believe me mix breed packs are alot more difficult to keep than single breed packs because you then have to deal with all the breed triats as well as the numbers.

Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
My lot are walked off lead more than on their leads.

When I take them along the beach first thing in the morning and last thing at night I don't even bother taking their leads with me. The same goes for when I take them over the South Downs.

The only time they go on a lead is if I walk them around town.

Recall is not the only command you need your dogs to know. You also need for them to have a good 'Down' command, so regardless of what the circumstances are the moment you shout 'Down' they belly is on the deck.

then

maybe they have a great 'down' command with their other three dogs - like yours you go out leadless with despite the possibility of fox or cat crossing their paths

not good advice to anyone Colin, should always have a lead with you
If you had taken the time to read my history, you would also see that I live on the coast and at the rear of my house I'm part owner of a private beach where the public are not allowed to go.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry didn't realise that came from a thread ,how do you walk your dogs in your own property' so you own the south downs as well me ol mate?
Apologies for the question but I didn't have time to read all your threads because quite frankly you do an unhealthy amount.
But that one was enough to tell me all I needed to know.
Thanks for the spelling lesson now get back to your pc there must be some new comers with good intensions to talk down to or some trespasses on your south downs to snare
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Sarcasm will get you nowhere.

I'm sorry mate, but in my book good intensions are just not enough when it comes to owning a dog.

Every dog that is now in a rescue kennels was firstly owned by someone with good intensions, but in this day and age alot of dogs are being returned to rescue kennels because people are finding it very difficult to afford them or things just don't work out.

Don't get me wrong if this person can afford the annual costs of 4 dogs and exercise is not an issue, then I wish her all the best in finding another dog in about 6 to 8 months time when her SBT has grown up a bit.

You're very welcome to the spelling lesson, if you get stuck again then please feel free to ask.

Concerning how I walk my dogs on the South Downs is easy. I take them where the general public don't normally go. As well behaved as they are, I also recognise that if someone saw 5 Dobes and a Rottie running about playing as they do, they could very easily feel intimidated by them.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2008, 05:09 PM
With the youngest being only 6mths it may be best to wait, however only you know if its the right time and how the youngest is. Many people have got two young dogs together or a short time apart and coped fine but on the flip side some have struggled.

I got Jake while Storm was still young 9mths and that worked out brilliant but if it was Skye was that age I wouldnt have got one.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 05:43 PM
i agree with your experienced advice on the age of her current puppy - thats experience talking - and you are making a valid point - but there may be 10 people in that house all walking the dogs - and for all we know they are a multi-millionaire family who live for their animals and the financial position shouldnt come into it - the thread starter offered a home to a dog - not a request for financial advice from a complete stranger.

oh and thanks for the 'all these questions have to be asked as I dog is for life' - thats cleared it up for all us stupid little people.

Heres some advice Colin, I see you posted 2000 posts in a year - my advice would be turn the pc off for a an evening if you bring yourself to - walk down your local and patronise someone you dont know to their face for a change.

Jesus what is it with some people on this forum who talk down to people who just joined.

Theres some alright people on here and theres some people who love the sound of their own voices.

Colin has rescued dog's and keeps Dobermen, I think your post is very rude, he was giving a life assement, of his experiences, and his opinion on what the op asked. What is it with you? you got at Patch last week about how many posts she has, and if youre here along time and posting each day we are going to clock up lost's of posts, catch yourself calling Colin a
condescending Pratt is a personal post and against posting guidelines and I will report this post.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 05:47 PM

Dont you think the insults are an uncalled for reply , Colin is offering very good advice to the op , It does not in any way deserve your rudeness , Colin dogs are very well trained ,The original poster would do well to take on board Colin advice agfter all he is speaking from a lifetime of experience , From owning Rotties anmd Dobes two very powerful breeds xxdk

I have reported your post for going against the forum rules , By being rude and offensive towards another member
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >